cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It MUST be time to file taxes, the settlement offers are arriving....

tag
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

It MUST be time to file taxes, the settlement offers are arriving....

I've been offered two settlements so far, my balance with LVNV is $2200, they offered $1495.  A medical at 20% off (not reporting), and VW offered a savings of $1,000 for my lease turn-in.  it's what I've been waiting for.  It's not reporting and I've been paying $100 a month on it.  I've turned my taxes in and should be a nice refund since I've paid the Federal an additional $3k.

Now......do they have to tell me, up front, if they are doing a 1099?  Or should I get LVNV under $600?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
awdsmama
Established Contributor

Re: It MUST be time to file taxes, the settlement offers are arriving....

Oh boy, the bottom feeders are about to come out!   I notice them in February a lot too....sorry Portfloio and Asset you aren't getting a dime on a 12 year old debt but keep spending your $$ mailing me the letters LOL

Fico: 701 (5/22/14) 682 (5/9/2014)
Discover IT $5,200 / CU Visa $1,000 / JC Penny$3,000
App Free since 2/2013
Message 2 of 10
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

I noticed it too!!

I received a settle offer on Tuesday for a debt that is 12 years old!!!!

They offered $1600 on a $2000 bill (the original bill was $400).  They even put on the bottom of the letter that they cannot report to the credit bureaus nor sue me because of the age of the accounts.  I wonder if anyone really falls for these.  Now if it was a settlement for $400 I probably would have done it to clear my own conscience.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 3 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I'm going to go for the LVNV b/c it's reporting, but the others.....I may just utilize that 3k to pay on debt that's reporting.

I owed the DMP almost $20k 18 months ago, I'm down to $7k after LVNV and the little ones I have chipped away at.

Message 4 of 10
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

Sorry I have nothing to add here, but can't for the life of me figure out what LVNV means (other than the company that comes up on google). Care to enlighten me anyone?

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 5 of 10
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

LVNV is Resurgent, a CA. 

Message 6 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, they don't have to tell you up front they are issuing a 1099-C.  If they send one to the IRS, they have to send one to you.

Message 7 of 10
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

I'm going to go for the LVNV b/c it's reporting, but the others.....I may just utilize that 3k to pay on debt that's reporting.

I owed the DMP almost $20k 18 months ago, I'm down to $7k after LVNV and the little ones I have chipped away at.

I'd suggest to you attempt to negotiate a PFD letter so that they don't report after you pay them off.

Message 8 of 10
coterotie
Established Contributor

@fishbjc wrote:

I've been offered two settlements so far, my balance with LVNV is $2200, they offered $1495.  A medical at 20% off (not reporting), and VW offered a savings of $1,000 for my lease turn-in.  it's what I've been waiting for.  It's not reporting and I've been paying $100 a month on it.  I've turned my taxes in and should be a nice refund since I've paid the Federal an additional $3k.

Now......do they have to tell me, up front, if they are doing a 1099?  Or should I get LVNV under $600?

Are you outside the SOL on the LVNV?  If so, point out that they only paid $66 bucks for the account, anything more than that number is gravy for them.  Then low ball them.  They may try to say they will ask the OC, but likely, the OC won't see a dime of the money.  So tell them you're onto that scam as well.  Then gradually increase the amount you will offer, while at the same time increasing the requirements on them.  $100 for PIF, $200 for PIF with deletion,  $300 for PIF, deletion, no 1099.  You get the idea.

I negotiated contracts with lawyers for a living for 20+ years.  I always won.

Message 9 of 10
ficophobic
Contributor

So, is that why I'm getting the letters and threatening phone calls?  Well, I'm not getting a refund.  I owe the IRS too.Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 529
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.