Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It never ends. DirecTV help needed

tag
newstart2010
Blogger

It never ends. DirecTV help needed

I had a bar.  I had 2 partners.  We closed in November of 2014.  We had directv, and tried to do the nfl package but Directv never got the occupancy right and tried to charge us 4x what it should have been so we tried to cancel the nfl package.  We closed 2 weeks after that dispute.  

Now I have a collection company calling me asking for over 6k for Directv, which includes 4500 for the cancelled nfl package and and early contract cancellation fee and other fees because my partner who takes care of this never actually called to cancel the service.  Come to find out my name is the only one on the bill now.  I don't know if they have my social security number, but it was a business i was part owner of before it was disolved and this was a business account.  

Help!  I called Directv and had a request put in for the business dept to call me back (can't be sent there directly) and I am going toask for it to be withdrawn from the collection agency.  Nothing is on my credit yet.  I'm also going to ask if they are willing to settle.  But I don't know how directv is towork with. anyone have any history theycare to share?  Any insight on what my legal responsibility is?

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
newstart2010
Blogger

Re: It never ends. DirecTV help needed

Bumpity bump bump....

Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You appear to be on the right track..... explain the situation, and attempt a settlement.

As for credit reporting, since it was a business debt, it should not report to your personal credit report.

It was not a debt incurred primarily for personal or family use.  See FCRA 603(d)(1).

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

You apper to be on the right track..... explain the situation, and attempt a settlement.

As for credit reporting, since it was a business debt, it should not report to your personal credit report.

It was not a debt incurred primarily for personal or family use.  See FCRA 603(d)(1).

+1

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the business was an LLC, they cannot pierce the corporate veil to come after you directly, but if it was a standard partnership, you'll be stuck with it. Being it's 'in your name' that makes it difficult.

When I had them on mine I got them off when it moved from one collector to another, I paid them direct before AFNI started reporting it and it has stayed off. I can't say how willing thye are to dicker over the amount but its worth a try. Sound like you certainly have some billing discrepancies involved.

Message 5 of 10
newstart2010
Blogger

THATs what I was looking for.  You are a peach!!!  

Anyonehad luck dealing with directv?  I want to get this resolved but for cheap.  

Message 6 of 10
newstart2010
Blogger

And it was an LLC.  Butthe collection agenct who spoke to me today was attempting to claim it was going to go on my credit because I was the owner of the LLC.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

He's full of it. The whole point of an LLC is to insulate the owner(s) from the business' liabilities. Once the business is dissolved its liabilies are dissolved along with it.

Being its a signifigant amount of money involved I would definitely consult an attorney for advice on the best way to deal with this one.

Message 8 of 10
newstart2010
Blogger

Will do

Message 9 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The only way this can report to your personal credit file is if you gave them a PG, no PG they are for all intents and purposes sol if there are no business assets left to pay them.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.