cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's OFFICIAL Sallie Mae Late Payments are being Removed...

tag
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

It's OFFICIAL Sallie Mae Late Payments are being Removed...

I was in school at the time they reported me late July 2012 90 days,  August 2012 120 Days, and Sept. 120 days late on 9 different student loan accounts.   I should have been in school deferement status, so they will remove the late payments and they said it takes anywhere from 30-45 days to update. 

I still have two 120 day late payments on the 9 accounts, but they were in 2011 due to me being back in forth in the hospital with high risk pregnancy issues.  I already spoke with an Advocate about it, and all she would say is I'M SORRY...and that the older the late payments are the less of the impact it will be.

I'm currently in the process of having all of the loans consolidation with direct loans, and current on all of them.

I know that I have probably asked this question before...but I'm just curious as to (approx.) how many points my score will increase since the most recent lates in 2012 will be removed...and will the lates in 2011 still have a huge impact on my score?

I'm BEYOND Grateful Right now....A Few steps closer to becoming a HOMEOWNER

Current FICO Scores

TU 581

EQ 504

EX 579

Current FICO 08 as of 06/01/2015 TU 648 EQ 624 EX 602
FICO Mortgage Scores TU 594 EQ 540 EX 642

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
rebuildingmission2013
Contributor

Re: It's OFFICIAL Sallie Mae Late Payments are being Removed...

I believe the 120s will still have an impact your score.  However, I think the brunt of the damage is reduced after 24 months.  

Message 2 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A 120-late is considered a major delinquency, and aside from its individual scoring impact, which will lessen, will keep you in a "dirty" payment history category, or "bucket," until all major derogs are gone.  That will affect the overall weighting of payment history in your scoring, making improvement more difficult.

I would recommend focuing on getting all delinquencies above 60-late deleted.

As an aside, is this based on a government-insured or guaranteed student loan?  If so, addressing delinquencies becomes more important, as they can remain beyond the normal 7 year exclusion period of normal credtior delinquencies.

Message 3 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@rebuildingmission2013 wrote:

I believe the 120s will still have an impact your score.  However, I think the brunt of the damage is reduced after 24 months.  

Not on 120 day lates.  Those will continue to severely impact your score for 7 years.

Message 4 of 10
rebuildingmission2013
Contributor

Duly noted fearless credit sensei Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 10
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

I wish they would remove the lates in 2011, but they are not wanting to go that far back.....I'm going to call everyday until someone says YES!!!! By the time I'm done Sallie Mae will know me by name **chuckles**

Message 7 of 10
MillyBean

I'm glad for you.

This gives me hope.  I've been in deferments for a while.  Was 1 -2  months late with the US Dept loans (kicked in before I had a job) and they dinged me for 120.  They also slapped a '120 days late' square for last July.  I was still in school last July!  LOL

7/12 EX: 528 ; TU: 602: EQ: 561 (freecreditreport.com)
7/18 EX: 551 ; TU: -- ; EQ: -- (freecreditreport.com)
7/25 EX: 600 ; TU: 584; EQ: 570 (myfico)

Message 8 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@MillyBean wrote:

I'm glad for you.

This gives me hope.  I've been in deferments for a while.  Was 1 -2  months late with the US Dept loans (kicked in before I had a job) and they dinged me for 120.  They also slapped a '120 days late' square for last July.  I was still in school last July!  LOL

They shouldn't put a 120 late while you were in school.  Have you talked to the SL lender to have them correct that?

Message 9 of 10
creditstalker
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I faxed them a copy of my credit report along with an the in school deferment form signed by my school.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.