Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a big day! I'm satisfying my judgment

tag
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

It's a big day! I'm satisfying my judgment

I have a judgment against me from 12/2009 on an original debt of $1000.  The judgment is for $1738 but after interest and fees, it has blown up to $2400.

Luckily, the attorney that is handling it (and Portfolio) has agreed for me to pay half of it $1200.

I have been paying it off for months now and today I am making my last payment to satisfy it!! It's going to feel so good but now I know that I have the joy of trying to get it vacated. 

ANyone have luck with vacating a judgment after only "settling in full"?

5/16/13 Starting FICOEQ: 521 FICOTU: 536 FICOEX: 571
5/13/14 Current FICOEQ: 668 FICOTU: 690 FICOEX: 673
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: It's a big day! I'm satisfying my judgment

Satisfied is satisfied. If you made a deal with the attorney, I wouldn't see why they wouldn't be ok to vacate it.

Just ask them.

Congrats BTW!

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@sharriel wrote:

I have a judgment against me from 12/2009 on an original debt of $1000.  The judgment is for $1738 but after interest and fees, it has blown up to $2400.

Luckily, the attorney that is handling it (and Portfolio) has agreed for me to pay half of it $1200.

I have been paying it off for months now and today I am making my last payment to satisfy it!! It's going to feel so good but now I know that I have the joy of trying to get it vacated. 

ANyone have luck with vacating a judgment after only "settling in full"?

Depends on the state. In Illinois, for example, it is standard for judgements to be vacated after it is satisfied, all you have to do it motion it back in front of the judge.

Check with your clerk, other states have similar laws.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 4
sharriel
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!  I am in NC so I will have to read up.  I know that vacating is possible but I have been too worried about paying it and now I'm on the next step.

5/16/13 Starting FICOEQ: 521 FICOTU: 536 FICOEX: 571
5/13/14 Current FICOEQ: 668 FICOTU: 690 FICOEX: 673
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.