cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's been a long time! Here's an update.

tag
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

It's been a long time! Here's an update.

It's been a few months since I was really on the forums last. I ended up having to get a c-section for my son to be born, and he didn't do so well at first. It's been a hectic few months since leaving the hospital, but I'm getting back into the swing of things now and my son is healthy as a horse! And I recently checked my credit reports...

My $50,000+ medical collection has fallen off more than 6 months early. My highest collection (and they are all medical), is now only about 1,800, which means that things are more manageable and I won't have that HUGE burdon on me when applying for credit,

I've applied for my CU's classic card, as well as the walmart credit card and the amazon store card, since I shop there a lot. I was denied just last month for those, but the main reason was that BIG collection. So now I can take care of the rest of them, and my hope is by next year I can get some revolving credit finally! If not a regular card, the secured card at my CU, since I need to save up for the deposit. (1 and 1/2 times the CL, and the analist said I'd have a chance once that big collection was gone... and I didn't know it would be so soon!)

I may not be on regularly like I was able to before, but I will at least be checking in every once in a while! It's good to be back!

- Xaiduz

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
seruby
Frequent Contributor

Re: It's been a long time! Here's an update.

Your CU is making you pay 1.5 times the amount they'll give you?  So if they give you a $200 CL, you have to put up $375?  That doesn't seem right.  

Check other secured cards, like Capital One where you put up $49, $99, or $200 for a $200 line initially.   OpenSky is another name I've seen thrown around here a lot.

Good luck on your journey!

Message 2 of 6
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

More than anything, congrats on the birth of your son and I'm glad that both you AND he are doing well. Also, awesome that your collection is off of your reports.

Once your scores come up a bit, check if your CU's secured card will unsecure after on time payments and responsible usage. I know the BofA card, which you are targeting, does.

Message 3 of 6
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

I remember you! Welcome back and congrats on your healthy baby boy!

Have you tried to obtain a secured card with Capital One? With them you have 80 days to pay off the deposit. I got one in March and this past weekend I obtained two unsecured cards from them with low limits, but I believe I'll be in the credit steps program so after 5 monthly payments I'll get a bump hopefully.

Good job on those debts falling off! I know it feels amazing to almost be in the clear!

Welcome back. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 6
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your baby boy and your health as well Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

Seruby: It is unfair, but after 12 consecutive ont-time payments, it graduates to the regular classic unsecured credit card, and I get all my money back into my savings account. (The CU holds the funds in my savings). Not bad in my opinion, but i am looking for others as well. Thank you!

Newguy: Thank you! And it will unsecure after a year, with all my money coming back to me, uincluding the extra down payment. Smiley Happy

Whitneyy: Thank you so much! Seriously, having that fall off lifted a HUGE burden off of my shoulders, since my husband and I are trying to look for a house. I was denied for Capitol 1 at the beginning of the year... Maybe I will try them again... I have 1-6 inq's right now, obewteen all reports, would it be a good idea to try them again?

Joedtx: Thank you. Smiley Happy

My hope is to try and get some revolving credit here soon. With all the vandalism and shoddy business practices in our apartments, we're amiming to be out of here soon, and into a house rather than another apartment with a least is our hope!

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.