Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not me but Experian won't remove

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not me but Experian won't remove

There is a judgment on my credit report from someone that has the same name as me, but it's not me.  I fought it with all three credit bureaus, but Experian refuses to remove it even after providing them with proof that it's not me, and not my judgment.  How do I go about having this removed from my credit?  I didn't even discover this until I went to purchase a home and it showed up.  I was able to successfully get my mortgage after having it taken care of two years ago, but now Experian has it on there again and I cannot get a home equity loan because of it.

Any suggestions, letters to write, or who to contact would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: It's not me but Experian won't remove

I'd go to the source and talk to the court. They can stop the reporting of it. Explain what happened and if you talk to the right person they will help in getting it removed.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: It's not me but Experian won't remove

It may not, and probably isn't, the court that even reported it.  As a public record, it is accessible to those who scour such information.

I would definately start by sending the CRA a request under FCRA 609(a)(1) for all information in your credit file relating to the reporting of the judgement.  In particular, the name of the reporting party.  Then you can send a direct dispute to the furnisher of the information, asking them to verify the accuracy of their reporting in view of your evidence.  That compels the reporting party to conduct an investigation and respond directly back to you, with no CRA involvement, in just over 30-days.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.