Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item deletion help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Item deletion help

I'm sure something like this has already been covered here but at the risk of repetition here goes.

I have a really stupid item on my report.  I haven't checked it in quite a while and last week I requested my free yearly report and found an item on there for $30 from 1and1 Internet.  Pretty sure it was for server space I had a few years ago and I never got the last bill when I moved from California.  I called the Collection Agent on record and they said even if I paid it they wouldn't remove it from my report because they don't do that.  So what are my other options to get it removed?  pay then dispute?  help!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Item deletion help

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Never, ever, talk to a CA.  Communicate in writing, CMRRR only.  For your protection.

You can try the OC and see if they will still accept payment and pull the account back from the CA.  If that does not work, you can send the CA a DV letter.  If they validate, send them a PFD.  If they cannot validate, they must delete.

You can just send them a PFD if you want.  It offers payment for them to delete the account.  If they turn you down, find someone else in the company to send it to.

Because this is an accurate account, you cannot dispute it after payment.  Only inaccurate accounts can be disputed.

Message 2 of 9
Gotons
Regular Contributor

I had a record on my CR's with 1 & 1 Internet about a year ago.  I called the OC (1 & 1) to see if they could pull it back from collections if I were to pay.  They said they couldn't so I sent a PFD to the CA (NCO in my case) and I never heard back from them, but about a week after I sent the PFD letter, it was deleted from all 3 CR's and hasn't come back since.

**EDIT**  I just remembered that I did indeed hear back from NCO and was told that I needed to talk to the OC.  When I spoke to the OC, they told me to talk to NCO.  A week later, it then disappeared.  It was kind of strange, but I'll take it!

Good luck!

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah that's exactly who it is, NCO.  How exactly did you go about the PFD?  I'm new to this but I want to clean up my credit now, it's sad how little I've paid attention to all this. lol

Message 4 of 9
Gotons
Regular Contributor

Check above in guiness' signature.  There is a link that says "Other commonly requested threads" or something to that nature.  Look in there and read up on the PFD's. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok so I have a question about DVs.  How much information of MINE do I include when I send it?  Just my name and addy?  or do I include the info from my CR like account number and dates and whatnot? 

Also, how do you figure out who to send these to at the CA offices?

Message 6 of 9
mauve
Valued Contributor

I've also dealt with NCO.  Both of the items were deleted with a DV.  I don't remember what I put in it, but DVs don't have to be complex, just "I request validation of this debt."  I think all the info I gave them was the masked account number from my report, my address, and my first and last name. 

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ok so I have a question about DVs.  How much information of MINE do I include when I send it?  Just my name and addy?  or do I include the info from my CR like account number and dates and whatnot? 

Also, how do you figure out who to send these to at the CA offices?

The simpler the better.  "I found this account xxxx-xxxx-xxxx on my credit report.  Please validate".  Send it to the address on your credit report, CMRRR.  They do not have a time limit to respond, unless you live in TX where they have 30 days.  If they cannot validate, they must remove it.  If the do not validate, they have to stop collection activity.

Do not sign it.  Just type your name.

Message 8 of 9
Carbusys
Contributor

The same thing happened to me from 1and1 Internet for $15. I had closed my account with them and they still charged me for an additional month. I did not pay the CA. I paid 1and1 Internet. I then protested the derog on my credit report and it was removed. Try it, it may work for you!

Good luck.

Starting: TU-605; EQ-603; EX-593
Current: (8/11/2010) TU-691; EQ-652; EX-655
Goal: 700 Club

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.