Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item fell off EQ and TU but stayed on EX

tag
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Item fell off EQ and TU but stayed on EX

I had a paid in full charge off from Verizon Wireless that fell off Equifax and TransUnion on 11-1-11. However it is still on Experian. I am afraid to dispute it with Experian, as though it fell off both reports on the same day, it wasn't a full 7 years. It was 6.5 years (78 months) since the account was opened, but only 4.5 years since the account was closed and paid. Is that how it's supposed to be?

These are the dates for the Verizon account that appear(ed) on each report.

TransUnion (fell off 11-1-11):
Date Opened: 05/03/2005
Date Closed: 03/01/2007
Date Paid: 04/13/2007

Equifax (fell off 11-1-11):
Date Opened: 05/2005
Date of Last Payment: 04/2007
Date Major Delinquency First Reported: 04/2007
Date of First Delinquency: 11/2006

Experian (still on report):
Reported Since: 06/2007
Date of Status: 06/2007
Last Reported: 06/2007

Based on these dates, how should I proceed to have Experian remove it? I'm afraid that if I dispute it, Verizon Wireless will send the info to all 3 agencies and it will get added on all of them.

Any advice?

Thanks,
kal9988

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Item fell off EQ and TU but stayed on EX

@kal9988 wrote:

I had a paid in full charge off from Verizon Wireless that fell off Equifax and TransUnion on 11-1-11. However it is still on Experian. I am afraid to dispute it with Experian, as though it fell off both reports on the same day, it wasn't a full 7 years. It was 6.5 years (78 months) since the account was opened, but only 4.5 years since the account was closed and paid. Is that how it's supposed to be?

These are the dates for the Verizon account that appear(ed) on each report.

TransUnion (fell off 11-1-11):
Date Opened: 05/03/2005
Date Closed: 03/01/2007
Date Paid: 04/13/2007

Equifax (fell off 11-1-11):
Date of Last Payment: 04/2007
Date Major Delinquency First Reported: 04/2007
Date of First Delinquency: 11/2006

Experian (still on report):
Reported Since: 06/2007
Date of Status: 06/2007
Last Reported: 06/2007

Based on these dates, how should I proceed to have Experian remove it? I'm afraid that if I dispute it, Verizon Wireless will send the info to all 3 agencies and it will get added on all of them.

Any advice?

Thanks,
kal9988

This is the only date that is applicable. CO's and collections can report for up to 7.5 years from the DoFD. Sometimes you get lucky (like you did) and they will drop off early. I would wait awhile and see what EX does with this. It looks like it can legally report until at least 11/2013.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 10
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Is there anything I can try that doesn't have risk of making it worse?

Message 3 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@kal9988 wrote:

Is there anything I can try that doesn't have risk of making it worse?

I would leave a 5 year old CO alone for a month or two to see what EX does but that's just me. I'm not sure what to counsel you to do (except waiting) that wouldn't risk making the situation worse. Perhaps others can.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you happen to live in New York State? Paid COs are supposed to drop off after 5 years in NYS, and that's an interesting coincidence for both to drop off on the same day exactly 5 years from your DOFD.

Message 5 of 10
kal9988
Regular Contributor

I do live in New York State (moved here 6 months ago LOL). Where can I find more info about the 5 year rule?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll also bet your Experian tradeline doesn't report a balance of $0 and is instead left blank. I cannot seem to get the OC to report a $0 balance since they sold the account and want nothing to do with it. Experian says they simply cannot replace a blank field with $0 - it doesn't work that way. Still haven't figured out how to get rid of that tradeline but I may try the BBB if I keep getting nowhere.
Message 7 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@kal9988 wrote:

I do live in New York State (moved here 6 months ago LOL). Where can I find more info about the 5 year rule?

That makes a big difference. It looks like you are in luck on this with the NY 5 year rule. But I still would wait and let EX do this on their own.

And kudos to freshtalk for bringing up the special rule for NY residents.  Smiley Happy

Edited for a typo.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to help, maybe we can work together and help each other.

In my situation, I have a charge off that was sold to another CA, then paid. If you read the stickied thread "What Steps Do I Take? Do I DV? PFD?", it tells us that "When an OC sells an account, they have to report a $0 balance." Does anyone know where in the FCRA it states this? I have been looking through it but can't find it. I just want some more legal grounds to work from.

Message 9 of 10
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much! I'm going to fight this with EX.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.