Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDB refused to give me my acct #!

tag
anackerman
Established Member

JDB refused to give me my acct #!

I noticed a collections account with West Bay Acquisitions on my report a few weeks ago. Now, I know a lot of people a lot of money, as I've been extremely irresponsible in the past but I honestly didn't recognize the OC for this collection or the amount. I called the OC and they couldn't find a record of me or the account that West Bay was referencing. Of course, I summoned the help of this forum, here. I finally got around to calling West Bay today to get my acct# to send them a proper DV and the jerk on the phone refused to give me my acct #! What am I supposed to do?

Phone call in summary: He found my account by asking for my name and the first few characters of my acct # (all that I could view on my credit report). Then to confirm we were both referencing the same account, he said the balance was $106 and my address was X. I confirmed that was the same information I was viewing on my report. I then asked him if I could get my full acct # (as there were 6 more characters that I could not see) and he started inquiring about my reasons for wanting that information. Asking if I was planning on paying online and telling me it'd be better to pay over the phone (I'd save $ with the transaction fee and they would send a PFD letter AFTER I paid...I didn't even ask for a PFD, it's apparently just standard protocol because they know they're full of crap). I let him know I was aware of payment options but for now I'd like the account number for my records and to look back on my records and that I couldn't make any decision about the origin of this debt or ways  I have the right to handle it without an account number. So, instead of giving me my number, he gave me info about  my supposed account with OC and stuff of that nature. We went back and forth a couple of times in a similar pattern. Finally, I told him that I have directly asked for my account number 5xs, he has refused to give it to me and I don't know why it's a problem for me to get that information. To which he responded, the only number I needed in order to pay on my account was the numbers I gave him (shown on my credit report and 6 characters short of my full account number). I asked him if there were indeed 6 characters more, he confirmed then I asked for my account number again! Same response. What the heck can I do about this?

Starting Score: EQ 511 (1/20/13)
Current Score: EQ 633
Goal Score: 680
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JDB refused to give me my acct #!

Are you wanting a PFD?  If so, just send it with the account number you have.  It is more than enough for them to find who you are.  I've found that after I've sent something to them this way, when they respond back, they have the complete number on their correspondence so then I have it too.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: JDB refused to give me my acct #!

They provided sufficient information to the CRA to permit posting to your file, and were additionally able to locate the account from that information when you contacted them.

Thus, there should be no issue, should you send a DV, of their ability to match the DV with your collection.

Perhaps they are trying to put impediments in your way to sending a DV.

The more significant issue is that the FDCPA specifically provides statutory requirement on their part to avoid such isssues.

After reporting to the CRA,they were required to have sent you dunning notice within 5 days, providiing you advisement of your DV rights and a contact address in which to exercise that right in addition to providing the name of the current creditor and the amount of the debt.  They appear to be in violation of collection (dunning) notice requirement under FDCPA 809(a), thus denying you the ability to properly act on the matter.

If you want to get their attention, draft a formal complaint to the FTC, asserting their violation of FDCPA 809(a), and send an immediate cc: to the debt collector.

I bet they will promptly call you with all the information you want.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.