Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDB

tag
boonelb
Regular Contributor

JDB

in looking at my credit report and seeing all the JDBs looking at my report, and since I know those debts are outside SOL and reporting I decided to opt out.   I am wanting to buy a house in the next couple of years anyways so I need them to stop looking.  I noticed that my student loans on TU shows to come off in June 2012 except 1.  I disputed the one for incorrect reporting.  The payment histories are identical so I am not sure why its reporting to come off 12-2012. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: JDB

What do you mean when you say you opted out? As far as I know, opting out just means you won't get pre-screened offers of credit.  It doesn't prevent people from checking your credit.  As far as I know, CAs can only do soft credit pulls so it shouldn't show on your credit report  when a company pulls it.

I think if you want to prevent them from checking, you need to put a freeze on it, which isn't free.

Message 2 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

CAs can pull your credit report, either as a hard or soft inquiry.    Also, even though debts may be out of SOL, CAs can still continue their collection activities.   Once the account has reached 7 - 7.5 years from DOFD it should no longer appear on any of your credit reports as a collection.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems pretty messed up that they can continue to make hard pulls on your credit report after the time period that the debt can show up.  This would be a clear sign to a lendor that you have a collection.  Also, I thought I had to specifically authorize any hard pulls.

Message 4 of 11
boonelb
Regular Contributor

these are not hard pulls, they are soft pulls.  reeks of a fishing expidetion to me.

Message 5 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What do you mean when you say you opted out? As far as I know, opting out just means you won't get pre-screened offers of credit.  It doesn't prevent people from checking your credit.  As far as I know, CAs can only do soft credit pulls so it shouldn't show on your credit report  when a company pulls it.

I think if you want to prevent them from checking, you need to put a freeze on it, which isn't free.

CAs can and do pull hard inquiries, even while opted out and even with a freeze in place, or at least as reported by others in here. I never froze a report, but I sure had my share of hard and soft pulls back in the day, even while opted out.

Everyone is automatically opted in. When you are opted in, companies like insurers, CC issuers, and investment firms will subscribe to and have generalized access to your CR via soft inquiries. These are harmless and come as a soft pull via PRM inquiries and so on. However, a more sinister aspect are CAs. CAs also can subscribe to your CR. There usually isn't a soft pull anywhere, but they will have access to changes to your CR. As they get alerted to those changes on your CR (e.g. lowered debt, added inquiries) while opted in, the CRA will alert the CA to key changes.

If you take a stroll in the Mortgage Loans board, you'll see many, many examples of folks applying for a mortgage only to have a CA appear at the last second. This is due to being opted in. Many CAs will decide to report once they see a mortgage inquiry appear. They know that your lender will likely require you to pay the debt as a condition to approval. When you opt out, you lose out on the preapproval offers and the opportunity to receive more junk mail, but you'll also prevent the CA from seeing those major changes like a mortgage inquiry. Opting out doesn't prevent a CA from reporting or placing inquiries to see your report, but opting out will stop the decidion making process by a CA by eliminating the flow of information by which to make a decision to report.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the detailed info.  I will stay opted in for now as that is how I wound up with my only CC, an unsecured Capital One steps program card with it's stepped up max $500 limit.  I got a preapproval in the mail for this one and it will hopefully be my ticket to getting a real card in the future.

Anyway, is there any sort of limit to CAs ability to hard pull?  Couldn't they just totally screw you by doing a new hard pull like every day or even every week?  There need to be some protections in place against this if there aren't already.  I have a soft pull from a CA on my last report from a company I am currently disputing with.  What if you dispute a debt and get it deleted, couldn't they just keep doing hard pulls instead of reporting the debt then?

Message 7 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyway, is there any sort of limit to CAs ability to hard pull?  Couldn't they just totally screw you by doing a new hard pull like every day or even every week?  There need to be some protections in place against this if there aren't already.  I have a soft pull from a CA on my last report from a company I am currently disputing with.  What if you dispute a debt and get it deleted, couldn't they just keep doing hard pulls instead of reporting the debt then?

Although rare, I have seen a couple of posters mention weekly/monthly pulls by a CA. I'm not an expert on the FCRA, I'll reserve that for others, section 604 defines permissible purpose. It doesn't limit pulls by a CA. The question to ask is "Is it permissible purpose to pull daily? Is it a legitimate business need?". I'd say no and if a CA did it to me, I'd fight them (assuming I didn't owe them of course, or if I did owe, it wasn't much).

If a CA got deleted, it also falls back to the FCRA. If they deleted because they could not verify or they sold it, they no longer have permissible purpose to pull again as defined by the FCRA. Of course you have to figure out if it is worth it spending time and $$$ fighting a soft.

Without looking up the FDCPA, maybe pulling daily/weekly would consitute some form of harassment. I dunno.

Message 8 of 11
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the detailed info.  I will stay opted in for now as that is how I wound up with my only CC, an unsecured Capital One steps program card with it's stepped up max $500 limit.  I got a preapproval in the mail for this one and it will hopefully be my ticket to getting a real card in the future.

There really isn't any way to stop someone from hard pulling unless you freeze your reports.    In theory any of your creditors could do a hard pull everyday but very likely won't because it costs them $$$ to pull your reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do soft pulls also cost money?  I have on CA that soft pulls me about 10-15 times a month.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.