Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jefferson Capital Systems....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jefferson Capital Systems....

So today I checked my mail and receive a letter from JCS (the first ever, might I add) stating that I needed to pay the balance of $154....they gave me a counter offer of $92. Question is, should I pay them or try to have it disputed and removed?  

I know the debt is mine, I'm just trying to find the best way to go about this since the OC, Verizon, is still on my credit report as a CO. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Jefferson Capital Systems....

If you dont dispute the debt, then you have no basis for a dispute of their reporting under the FCRA.

The separate issue of whether you wish to request debt validation is up to you.

Whether to send a DV depends upon your circumstances and what you are attempting to do.

You can send a DV within 30 days after receipt of dunning notice without asserting an actual error, and it will impose a cease collection bar on the debt collector.

That cease collection bar will remain in effect until they send validation.  If you agree that the debt is legit, then you may expect that validation will occur.

What you have "gained" is imposition of a cease collection bar during the interim period.

However, they have no period in which to respond to a timely DV,and thus you will be in limbo until such time as they have first provided validation.

That will also preclude them from responding to any settlement or PFD offers you may wish to send.

If the debt collector has only sent dunning notice and has not yet reported their collection, you could send them a pay for not reporting offer to prevent the addition of a collection.  If you send a DV,they could immediately send validation and also report their collection, which would leave you with a reported collection to then get deleted.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.