Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jefferson Capitol asking for more than what I owe

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jefferson Capitol asking for more than what I owe

Hello All, 

I took out a Salie Mae loan back in 2005, $5000.00.  Paid the payments for 5 years, until 2010 I think.  Trying to clean up my credit, Jefferson Capital has it that I owe $5000.00.  My late wife took care of all our finances. Since 2010 we filed bankruptcy, moved 3 times. I moved 2 more times after my wife passed.  So I can't find any documentation of what we paid, and what we still owe.  Sallie Mae has no record of our account.  I every time I talk to Jefferson Capitol, they tell me it's a different department, call them.  I do, leave a voice mail, but no return call.  I'm willing to pay this off in one chunk, but I feel I shouldn't pay the full amount.

After I questioned them about the amount of the loan, they told me  I had paid all the interest, and still own the principle.  Then marked "Disputed" on my CA.

Any ideas on how should handle this?

Thanks!

Rudy

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Jefferson Capitol asking for more than what I owe

Hello,

An update on this.  I found out it is possible that the amount could be correct.  Sometimes a penalty is applied, as high as 24% to the balance of the loan every year.  But I also can not find any record of the loan from federal, or the private sector.  Could it be possible the loan was written off?

I did contact Jefferson Capitol about 1 1/2 years ago, just to get some info, and ask why was the final amount so high.  I never did get a letter from them about this loan, just found it on my CR.  

Is it too late to send a DV?  Wisconsin law states 30 days, but I was never notified.

Thanks!

Message 2 of 3
A1Credit
Established Contributor

Re: Jefferson Capitol asking for more than what I owe

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

An update on this.  I found out it is possible that the amount could be correct.  Sometimes a penalty is applied, as high as 24% to the balance of the loan every year.  But I also can not find any record of the loan from federal, or the private sector.  Could it be possible the loan was written off?

I did contact Jefferson Capitol about 1 1/2 years ago, just to get some info, and ask why was the final amount so high.  I never did get a letter from them about this loan, just found it on my CR.  

Is it too late to send a DV?  Wisconsin law states 30 days, but I was never notified.

Thanks!

Since there seems to be no paperwork, I would attempt to dispute it via CFPB or the 3 credit report bureaus.  They should be able to provide with some form of information to determine that the debt amount they are collecting is accurate.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.