cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined NASFCU, Navy Federal and DCU with the past week, trying to build relationships

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joined NASFCU, Navy Federal and DCU with the past week, trying to build relationships

I have been on a mission to establish a relationship with a good CU for a while I started off with DCU back in the summer but they denied me due to a 520 Fico.  This week I decided to get back up on the horse and tried NASA with success but was denied for a CC.  I then talked my dad who is retired AF to join Navy so I could join as a family member, did so this week and it was great, got an instant offer to refi my car.  I had just refied a Santander at 12.57% on the accord I got last summer when my scores were in the low 500's, early last week I refied this with Capital One at 8.5% since Navy gave me a prequal I figured I would take a shot and bam they approved a 4.29% which saves me thousands in interest versus the other two options.  They did deny me for a CC which is a bummer but I am in for the long haul with Navy and probably will keep a good relationship with DCU but I will likey let NASA sit until I get a prequalified offer from them since they also declined my card.  I will be gardening till the end of the year to get past all of last summer car inqs. 

Any thoughts  ??

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Joined NASFCU, Navy Federal and DCU with the past week, trying to build relationships

NFCU's secured card graduates if you want to try to build revolving history with them, and my understanding is they'll use the same pull if you apply within the first 90(?) days of joining.  Just a thought Smiley Happy

Congrats on getting in with them, they're one of the better options for people who are eligible.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Joined NASFCU, Navy Federal and DCU with the past week, trying to build relationships

What does your credit profile look like? Please share. A secure card will help for sure. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores are on the bottom and are according to myfico.  They are up substantially from last summer where they were in the low to mid 500's.  I currently have 3 collections reporting, one for $25 medical that is paid in full but sill sits on the report because I could not get an agreement to PFD with them even though they had been sending the bills to the wrong address for years apparently.  I also have two credit cards in collection from HSBC one for 800 and the other 642.  They age off in 2017 and the SOL in my state ends on these next year.  I am in the process of negotiating with the collector who has the $800 debt to resolve for 200 to 300 bucks. I am hoping resolving this will help.  If so I will do the same with the other so then all of my collections will be resolved.  I have some 30 day lates over the past couple of years but none for about a year.  Finally I have two public records, a california tax lien that was paid off the day we learned of it and an IRS tax lien for 30k that is currently being paid down through an installment agreement and has a balance of $15k.  We are prioritizing the IRS lien but we know it will stick with us for many years to come which is a bummer.  We don't qualify for the program that would remove it becuase we once defaulted on the installment agreement. 

Well thats our story

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores are on the bottom and are according to myfico.  They are up substantially from last summer where they were in the low to mid 500's.  I currently have 3 collections reporting, one for $25 medical that is paid in full but sill sits on the report because I could not get an agreement to PFD with them even though they had been sending the bills to the wrong address for years apparently.  I also have two credit cards in collection from HSBC one for 800 and the other 642.  They age off in 2017 and the SOL in my state ends on these next year.  I am in the process of negotiating with the collector who has the $800 debt to resolve for 200 to 300 bucks. I am hoping resolving this will help.  If so I will do the same with the other so then all of my collections will be resolved.  I have some 30 day lates over the past couple of years but none for about a year.  Finally I have two public records, a california tax lien that was paid off the day we learned of it and an IRS tax lien for 30k that is currently being paid down through an installment agreement and has a balance of $15k.  We are prioritizing the IRS lien but we know it will stick with us for many years to come which is a bummer.  We don't qualify for the program that would remove it becuase we once defaulted on the installment agreement. 

Well thats our story

The public record hurted the most when I had owed taxes. I paid it and got them to remove it just by asking. The medical wont hurt so much after the new roll out from the CRA. Try to do a PFD for the HSBC (try hard,) and I would send GW letters for the lates. It may take some time but you will be happy. An increase in score is always good.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.