Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Account? Please Help so I can plan next move

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint Account? Please Help so I can plan next move

I have a  jount account that was charged off  with my ex-husband that appears twice on my credit report. Once through the original collector and the other by third party credit agency. I disputed this 30 days ago but they said both need to show on my credit report because one was a charge off.

Anyway today I went back to look at it, and the credit report states that the CA account is an individual account instead of joint. Is this standard once it's sold ? or does it mean I am soley responsible for the account? Did my ex-husband get off free and clear even though he was the primary borrower? Should I dispute this? I am a newbie and love reading everybody's succcess, I'm trying to clean up my report to buy a house with my new husband and any advice would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Joint Account? Please Help so I can plan next move

The type of account with an original  creditor  can be joint or sole.

However, a collection is not the reporting of an account with the debt collector, it is the reporting by a debt collector of their authority to collect on a debt that was originally incurred with a creditor.  Collections will often include a statement of the type or OC account, but that is not the reporting of a collection as a sole or joint account.

If the OC account was, in fact, joint, then reporting of a collection to either account holder's credit report is proper.

Any inaccuracy in statement of the type of OC account would be readily correctible, and would not be basis for deletion of the collection.

You can dispute, but any correction or deletion would not effect continued reporting of the collection.

It would not have any effect on scoring, and correction would be routine.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.