cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint account holder - score went from 708-776 !!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint account holder - score went from 708-776 !!!

Was made a joint account holder on a family member's card (Chase, open 7yrs, no lates, $7,000 limit/$200 balance).

I was originally made an authorized user which did nothing at all for my score. After contacting Chase, they told me I would have to be made a joint account holder for it to work. And it did! Experian score went from 708-776. 68 point increase!  The new account is now listed on my other reports as well, but I don't have those scores yet since it is requiring me to pay for the actual scores, which I will soon.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Joint account holder - score went from 708-776 !!!

I'm confused.  Did the OC not report the AU status, and state that they would only report if you became a joint account holder?

If they had reported the AU status, it would have posted to your CR.

It is totally contradictory to state that a reported AU will only be recognized if the party is not simply an authorized user, but rather a joint account holder.

Message 2 of 11
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Yes being a  joint account holder helped your CS, but it can also hurt your CS,  if there's a late involed.

I would suggest to keep an eye on the monthly statements and also make sure the payments are paid on time.

Congrats on the score jump!!

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 11
maygirl
Contributor

Did you have to fill out a form they sent you?? My mom added me last week to an account to help my credit and I have recieved the card but they claim I have to fill out a form which I have not recieved yet... So I was wondering if it was possible to do over the phone!

Thanks

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

I'm confused.  Did the OC not report the AU status, and state that they would only report if you became a joint account holder?

If they had reported the AU status, it would have posted to your CR.

It is totally contradictory to state that a reported AU will only be recognized if the party is not simply an authorized user, but rather a joint account holder.

Robert - Correct. The OC (Chase) wasn't reporting to any of the credit bureaus that I was an authorized user, so nothing was showing up on my report. They said that it is only reported if I am made a joint account holder. Seems as if come credit card companies will report that you are an AU to the credit bureaus, but some don't unless you are added as a joint account holder.

I have been added as an AU to someones elses card (which does report to the bureaus)  before this, but my scored only moved a few points. I think being added as a joint acount holder made a huge difference.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LIGHTNIN wrote:

Yes being a  joint account holder helped your CS, but it can also hurt your CS,  if there's a late involed.

I would suggest to keep an eye on the monthly statements and also make sure the payments are paid on time.

Congrats on the score jump!!

Thanks.

Well, the CC has been open for years with no lates, and hopefully it stays that way. Only about a $100 balance now.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maygirl wrote:

Did you have to fill out a form they sent you?? My mom added me last week to an account to help my credit and I have recieved the card but they claim I have to fill out a form which I have not recieved yet... So I was wondering if it was possible to do over the phone!

Thanks

Yes, I had to fill out a form. They can add you as an AU over the phone, but they said to be added as a joint account holder that I had to fill out a form. Took 1 minute. It wasn't anything long or complicated.

Message 7 of 11
maygirl
Contributor

I sent my form in this week to get added! How long did it take to show up on your report??? I am hoping to see a jump in my score also!

Message 8 of 11
pengy_wi
New Contributor

Did they have to do an inquiry to add you? I have my DH as AU on 2 Chase accounts and want to add him as joint to get more tradelines on his reports but am afraid of dropping his score with more inquiries (we're trying to get a mortgage and his score is borderline).

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@maygirl wrote:

I sent my form in this week to get added! How long did it take to show up on your report??? I am hoping to see a jump in my score also!

It took about a month.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.