Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Journey Of Poor To Better Decisions. Need Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Journey Of Poor To Better Decisions. Need Advice

Brief History:

Since screwing up my credit during college (getting credit cards to buy food, etc), I wasn't able to pay them off both (opened in 2007 and 2009) went into collections a year after. I didn't know what to do and was given up on applying for credit cards and hoping those would dropped off the report. Fast forward to 2014 (when I started to make decent money and looking into rebuilding my credit report, I had to paid off one of the collection. After that was completed, the confidence and bad habits to apply for credit cards begins.

Signed up to Credit Karma/MyFico in early 2015 and noticed my credit score was around 610-620. Had 3 cards (Discover, 2 Cap One) until mid 2015 and a Chase(Amazon) afterwards. Since moving into a new town, commuting wasn't great, so I got a used car. Went to DCU for a loan on $10K car. Used my annual bonus for the down payment. By summer, I racked up over $9K and basically was at 95% of the limit of each card (trips/outtings). In November 2015, my gf and I were talking about savings, when to get marry (2017-2018), and buy a house (2017 hopeful). The hardest part of that evening was confessing to her about my credit card debts (I have never told anyone about my debts and money usage as everyone thought I was well off). If you have never told anyone about your similar situation, find someone who you could trust and let it out. You'll feel much better afterwards. We had a little argument, but she was glad that I told her. 

Since the conversation, I took a few precautious steps.

1. Cut the two Cap One cards up.

2. Every bi-weekly check I received, will go straight into paying down the cards and rents/utilities.

3. Read more about paying off debts, etc. (Best advice, pay off the highest interest cards "one at a time", and pay minimal on others. Instant gratifications)

Right after the discussion, I went ahead and paid off my Discover card, lowest balance to boost my credit score. Then came the highest balance Cap One, which was paid off mid-January 2016. For Chase, it took a few micro-payments as I have to juggle credits usage for food and gas since I don't plan to save until all debts are taking care of. The balance went up and down. By February 1st, Chase was at $0. But then there's a balance on my Discover card, as I move my spending to it. It wasn't much since I made sure to have an autopayment on it. For the past 3 weeks of paying rent and debts, I got the last Cap One card down from $2800 to $1300 (Today). There's a $300 balance on the Discover but that card is not due until March 8th, which pay day comes before then.

At this point, using the myFico app the scores are: Equifax-664, Transunion-663, Experian-693. I'm still not sure how EQ and Transunion score are calculated as those haven't update much (Could be because of the 90% balance on the last Cap One). The Experian was at 688 since mid-January. 

On another note, my last college collection...it was reported in 2011 with a balance of $1500. Any advice(s) if I should take care of this or let it drop off? We are planning to do some pre-mortgage planning this summer and I really don't want it to affect anything. Thanks for reading this as I think it was one of the best thing I could have done to myself for 2016.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Journey Of Poor To Better Decisions. Need Advice

I think you're definitely on the right track. As to the 2011 collection, if you can stand a couple more years of negative effects, and the chance they might sue you for a judgement, then i guess it's possible to let it drop off. For me, if anyone has the chance to sue me I want to get out from under that as soon as possible, so i'd recommend paying it off.  if it was a year or two older i might have a different story. And if it's a college loan and you're in Texas, well, pay that off IMMEDIATELY. Smiley Happy  

I think for a lot of us, coming here, subscribing to MyFICO, and just SEEING how small and big changes affect your credit is eye-opening enough to cause immediate changes in habit.  

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In November 2015, my gf and I were talking about savings, when to get marry (2017-2018), and buy a house (2017 hopeful). The hardest part of that evening was confessing to her about my credit card debts (I have never told anyone about my debts and money usage as everyone thought I was well off). If you have never told anyone about your similar situation, find someone who you could trust and let it out. You'll feel much better afterwards. We had a little argument, but she was glad that I told her. 

My fiance is 5 years older than I am and is incredibly frugal with her money (she came from a very much lower middle class family and took her parents' fiscal lessons to heart). When we started dating 3 years ago, she had been in the work force for 10 years and had paid off all her student loans and car loan, one weekly PIF credit card, and no debt to her name.

Me, on the other hand...well, I'm not quite a "polar" opposite of her, but we've got very different financial situations. I'm about $100k total in debt, with about $85k of that being split between student loans and car loan. She was seriously freaked out about it when I told her how much it is (told her last summer), so what I've done since then is create a spreadsheet listing every line of credit and debt I have, what the balance is, minimum payment owed, scheduled payment, payment due date, credit limit, and utilization. I'm sharing it with her every month around the first of the month (I adjusted due dates so all the statements cut between the 3rd and 7th of each month). I've also mapped out my income with her and have shared a monthly budget--how each net paycheck is going to be broken down between bills, rent, food/entertainment, and debt. Along with that mapping, I've put together a forecast that shows when I'll pay off each item of debt.

We're getting married in April, so I'll have to update it all then, but for the past six months or so, it's worked out really well. She doesn't freak out anymore, I have a clear plan, and I can track actual progress each month towards becoming debt free, rather than just making the normal monthly payments and having no clue when/if I'd become debt free.

Definite load off my back!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. Going to try and pay that old debt off once all credit card debts are zero out. Once PIF or settled, it will stays on the reports for another 7 years correct? Also will my score goes up or down? Just curious. Thanks!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Going to try and pay that old debt off once all credit card debts are zero out. Once PIF or settled, it will stays on the reports for another 7 years correct? Also will my score goes up or down? Just curious. Thanks!

To figure out when it will drop off, find the Date of First Delinquency, and add about 7 years to that. Technically it might be 7.5, but you can start asking for it to be deleted earlier. And some credit reports will tell you exactly what month it's scheduled to drop off. It shouldn't be 7 years from the paid in full/settled time, your timeline is from the original debt. Your score MAY go down briefly as paying it will cause fresh reporting, but will go back up at some point as you distance yourself from it. Also if anyone manually reviews it, such as a mortgage company, a paid collection looks better than an open collection.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with Transunion on the last debt. The person said it should be drop off sometimes in June 2016 Smiley Happy Guess I'll hold off on that account for now. Also noticed 2 paid collections I had from the doctor was still on Transunion and Equifax. Called up the Agency that handles the collection and the guy said he'll call up and have both remove from the two remaining agencies. So far so good.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got two paid collections that is supposed to drop off in April removed by Experian. Apparently, I can't seem to get Equifax and TransUnion to remove it from their systems until June. Any suggestions on how to do this with the other two CRA? Thanks!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did a dispute with TU on the too old to be on account. Will wait until my CCT trial to complete this week so I can pull it. Also sent a GW email to a student loan center and received an email with a letter attached stating they will delete the account instead of updating the 2-3 missed payments.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just want to say thanks to everyone on this board. Wouldn't gotten this far without your suggestions and guidance.

Message 9 of 10
cmony787
Regular Contributor

Nice work! Those are significant increases since your first post back in February.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.