Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judge ruled debt not mine, CA/OC won't remove

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judge ruled debt not mine, CA/OC won't remove

Several years ago, I co-signed a lease for my soon-to-be ex-.  She was subsequently evicted for non-payment, and the judge in our divorce ruled that the debt belongs SOLELY to her.  I have presented the court's decree to both the OC and the CA, but they won't remove the account from my CBR.  Aren't they legally obligated to remove the account?  How do I get the OC/CA to observe the court's orders??
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judge ruled debt not mine, CA/OC won't remove

Bad news.  The divorce decree does not impact your contract with the the landlord.  You are still on the hook.

Your only recourse, in the event that you paid it to mitigate damage to your CRs, would be to sue her for payment for basically failing to obey the order of the court.

So, no, they don't have to remove, and they don't have to observe the court's order.  They were not a party to your divorce--the judge can only order parties to do things, not companies, even if they have an interest in the order.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.