cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement - Creditor or Courts won't take my money!! (dumbfounded and confused, help needed)

tag
Alucard
New Contributor

Judgement - Creditor or Courts won't take my money!! (dumbfounded and confused, help needed)

Today has been really weird.

Creditor - So I called the creditor (Hunter Warfield) who currently has a judgement against me (not stating that it's valid, just stating a fact) and they would not tell me the payoff amount or accept my money unless I paid the entire balance (not just the judgement money but the entire debt owed as it's an apartment debt). The judgement was originally for $945 and with interest should only be $1479 (this is TX), but the creditor is stating I would have to pay over 6k in order to settle the debt. Nuts to that!

Courts - When I couldn't get a payoff amount from the creditor I decided to go to the county clerks office and get a copy of the judgement and see if they would give me the Total amount due and accept my money. Well, they sent me down to the court where it was filed who then gave me a copy of the original judgement, but then they would not give me any more information. They told me to reach out to the creditor to settle the debt, when I told them the issues that I was having they just looked really dumbfounded at me, but could not help. I mean, I'm literally begging people to take my money!

Questions:

1. Should I have went to the constables office instead of the courts to try and pay this off since they are the ones who collect on judgements?
  2. After reviewing the judgement, I now see that there is literally no information on here other than my first name (nickname, not even my legal name) and last name. No DOB, social security number, or anything. Should I dispute this?
  3. My family uses an attorney for situations like this and he's good, really good. Like one of the best in the state. The problem is he charges $400 an hour and that seems a little ridiculus against a $1479 debt. But I'd be willing to pay it if's nessecary as he's ethical, moral, and an outstanding guy (and amazing at his job).

Any feedback you guys have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Judgement - Creditor or Courts won't take my money!! (dumbfounded and confused, help needed)

Prepare a written statement based on the judgment, itemizing the principal amount of the judgment, the total judgment interest due up to that date (many post-judgment calculators are provided on the internet), and any other fees or amounts authorized in the judgment, such as court or attorney fees.

Provide a concluding paragraph stating that a check is enclosed that constiutes full satisfaction of the judgment, and send to their attorney.

If they disagree with your calculation, request a written statement of differences.

If they refuse both to accept your reconciliation and provide one of their own, then I would motion the court for clarification of their judgment.

The courts will take payment if you provide them a showing that you have made reasonable attempt to contact the judgment creditor, but were unable to do so.

Under those conditions, they will accept your payment and place the funds in escrow until contacted by the judgment creditor.

However, your issue is not one of being unable to locate them, but only of resolution of differing views of the judgment debt.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgement - Creditor or Courts won't take my money!! (dumbfounded and confused, help needed)

Find the creditors attorney listed on the judgement and speak with them.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.