Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement Docket, debt 8 years old?

tag
turts14
Regular Contributor

Judgement Docket, debt 8 years old?

I have two collections with DOLA in 2004 and 2005 with the same agency.  They just contacted me and ran an inquiry on my CR.  They claim they entered a judgment for the debt's they hold back in 2006 with the county but this judgment was not docketed thus did not show up on my CR.  They claim they will docket the judgement in the next two weeks as they claim to have 10 years to do so.  I asked why they would wait until now to docket since it was filed in 2006? (no answer)  They claim once they docket it will show on my credit report?  I live in MN and pretty sure they are passed the SOL but want to prevent them from adding this to my CR after all this time.  She also said they cannot verify and I would have to go through the court system in order to accomplish the verification.  Seems odd but since I am buying a house I do not want something to pop up? 

Any thoughts on how I should handle this? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Re: Judgement Docket, debt 8 years old?

Check SOL in your state. Check court to see if they have a judgment or not. They have to serve you before they can get a judgment. If they serve you, go to court and settle it before the judge. No judgment will need to be filed right??

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They don't enter a judgment. Or a docket number for that matter.  It is all done through the court.  The courts enter all newly filed actions with a docket number. 

If a judgment is granted against someone it will have the docket number from the suit when it was filed.

They also don't enter docket numbers into PACER, the courts do that.

I believe they are feeding you a line of bull.

Easy enough to find out.  Contact the courts and ask them.  If no, there you go.  If yes, tell them you were never served and just found out.

I find it highly improbable there is one.

Message 3 of 5
turts14
Regular Contributor

I contacte the courts and there was a judgment "entered" in 2006 but was never send to circuit court or docketed.  They claim they have 10 years to collect and now will officially docket the judgment in the next two weeks thus subjecting it to be picked up by the credit beaureaus.  The collection agency will not verify the debt as they state the judgement is all ready in place and they don't have to.  I don't want to pay this if I don't have to obviously but it it checking out when I research.  Anyone any thoughts??

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Read this http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=3770

From what I read they may be telling the truth.

But if you were never served you may be able to have it vacated.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.