Frequent Contributor

Re: Judgement Question...

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This judgement was NEVER placed on none of my credit reports;

Debt collectors are the devil! 

So it was placed on all of them

And

They only exist because debtors do not pay what they agreed to pay.

To answer your question directly, your lawyer can tell you better but If the debt already had a judjemnt awarded they cannot get another judgement. they can take you to court to collect however

Exactly! Why do people think it's ok to stiff creditors and then when they try to collect the collection agency's the bad guy? Pay your debts or file bankruptcy and you won't have the deal with the consequences.

myFico Score Experian: Start (4/21/14) 626 Current (5/7/16) 841
myFico Score Equifax: Start (4/30/14) 694 Current (5/6/16) 838
myFico Score Transunion Start (5/01/2014) 727 Current (5/7/16) 842
Discover (4/24/14) 659 (5/5/16) 842
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Was the original collection from 2009 and they filed a judgment on 11/15? Or are you saying 11/15 is when you found out about it?
2. When you say "your attorney" do you mean an attorney you are currently paying, an attorney you spoke to in a consultation, or an attorney from the collector?

If this is an older judgment from 2009, you may be able to settle for less. Maybe even less than the original amount. Just make sure you get it in writing. I know because I had a judgment filed against me in 2010 and I didn't even know about it until last year. It was $2000 from an credit card I had in college and was charged off in 2004. By the time I knew about it and interest was added it was almost $4500. I called the collection agency and worked out paying $2000 as one lump sum. I got settlement agreement in writing BEFORE I PAID ANYTHING and received a letter of to change the status of my judgment to satisfied.

But from the information you are giving, it makes me wonder if this is a new judgment or you are confusing the original collection and the judgment as being the same thing? It would make since for an old collector to sue after they saw you obtained a mortgage. Also $1050 worth of interest seem small for 6.5 years. (But every state is different)

The ball is in your court for now. I you can file for an exemption, you may want to look in to that again. The amount you owe is very low and it cost money to collect money. I AM IN NO WAY TELLING YOU NOT TO PAY THIS. This must be paid either way but don't make a bad decisions because you are freaked out. Take some time (not years) to think about your options and look up your states laws on judgments. Remember, get everything in writing.

I wish you the best of luck

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the insight. I will definitely check it out. You are absolutely correct in regards to what I said about the debtor renewing the judgement...that was my error. My attorney did say the collection attorney is able to renew the judgement though. Thanks again. As far as I know right now the judgement has not been attached to my property. I will most definitely check into that.

Message 13 of 14
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

@dman23 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This judgement was NEVER placed on none of my credit reports;

Debt collectors are the devil! 

So it was placed on all of them

And

They only exist because debtors do not pay what they agreed to pay.

To answer your question directly, your lawyer can tell you better but If the debt already had a judjemnt awarded they cannot get another judgement. they can take you to court to collect however

Exactly! Why do people think it's ok to stiff creditors and then when they try to collect the collection agency's the bad guy? Pay your debts or file bankruptcy and you won't have the deal with the consequences.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.