cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement claim by Portfolio Recovery

tag

Judgement claim by Portfolio Recovery

Hi,

I just received a phone call from Portfolio Recovery and the person on the line claimed that he had a judgement against me.  He gave me a case number and I am going to go to the court house to check it out tomorrow.  He claimed the judgement was from 2010.  The DOFD was 7/2007 on this debt so it's past the SoL.

Is it possible that there is a judgement and Portfolio has done nothing about it for 4 years?  Whille there is a collection for Portfolio Recovery on my credit report there is no judgement for this.  Are they just trying to get me to pay on an old debt?

Thanks-

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
songsofexperience
Frequent Contributor

Re: Judgement claim by Portfolio Recovery

If there is a judgment the SOL for the judgment itself is likely much longer than it would have been for the original debt. Most states have a judgment SOL of 10 years, which can be renewed for another 10 years.

Now, if they got a default judgment against you for a debt that was itself past the SOL, that's a different matter and you can probably motion to vacate. It sounds as though, if the DOFD was 7/2007 and they got a judgment in 2010 that it probably wasn't past SOL when they sued you - check your state's SOL for different types of debt.

If you were never served, you may also have grounds to vacate.

I doubt they woudl tell you they have a judgment against you and give you case number if they didn't - they'd be violating all kinds of FDCPA codes.

You can call the clerk of the court or, depending on where you are, look it up online. I have a judgment in OK that I can see all the docs for online. It was a default judgment and they've never come after me for payment, but I've just reached out to them to make payment.

Good luck.

Starting Score: 2/2013 EQ 535
Current Score My Fico: 5/23 EQ 808| EX 812 | TU 800
Message 2 of 4

Does the Judgement they have against you show up on your credit report?

Thanks for the information.

Message 3 of 4
madmann26
Valued Contributor

PRA are **bleep** bags. Don't believe what they say.

Chances are there isn't a judgement and they were trying to bully you.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.