cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement issues, Any options?

tag
New-Girl

Judgement issues, Any options?

I have a judgement from September 2004.  It is almost due to come off my credit report (around September). Dominion Law Associates wants me to pay it right away.  They will settle for 60% in two payments with $100.00 deposit by Monday.  Are they trying to get any type of payment so they can doing something else? The original amount was around $2000.00 but now it is almost $8000.00. 

1.Should I wait until it comes off my credit report before I make any type of settlement? 

2.Should I see a lawyer and see they can negotiate a reduced amount? 

3. Can they go to court and reissue another judgement or something so it stays on my credit report?

4. Can they take money out of my checking account?

I apologize.  I am new to the boards and I have tried to find the answers but I am a novice. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Heavanly1
Regular Contributor

Re: Judgement issues, Any options?

@New-Girl wrote:

I have a judgement from September 2004.  It is almost due to come off my credit report (around September). Dominion Law Associates wants me to pay it right away.  They will settle for 60% in two payments with $100.00 deposit by Monday.  Are they trying to get any type of payment so they can doing something else? The original amount was around $2000.00 but now it is almost $8000.00. 

1.Should I wait until it comes off my credit report before I make any type of settlement? 

I wouldn't recommend that. The creditor has already received a judgment against you and the legal means to collect it. If they are willing to settle the debt for 60% of the judgement amount, get the agreement in writing and then submit your payments.

I don't think that would help you much. Any savings you gain by hiring an attorney would be negated by the price the attorney would charge you.

3. Can they go to court and reissue another judgement or something so it stays on my credit report?

Yes. Depending upon your state, the judgement will be valid from 10-20 years.  The creditor can go back to court and get the judgement renewed. Though many judgements are removed at the 7 year mark, unpaid judgements can remain until they are paid.

Yes, the creditors can use the judgement to freeze your bank account or garnish your wages.

I apologize.  I am new to the boards and I have tried to find the answers but I am a novice. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Heavanly1 wrote:

@New-Girl wrote:

I wouldn't recommend that. The creditor has already received a judgment against you and the legal means to collect it. If they are willing to settle the debt for 60% of the judgement amount, get the agreement in writing and then submit your payments.

I don't think that would help you much. Any savings you gain by hiring an attorney would be negated by the price the attorney would charge you.

Yes. Depending upon your state, the judgement will be valid from 10-20 years.  The creditor can go back to court and get the judgement renewed. Though many judgements are removed at the 7 year mark, unpaid judgements can remain until they are paid.

Yes, the creditors can use the judgement to freeze your bank account or garnish your wages.

There are so many inaccuracies here.

1.  With a judgment, sometimes waiting for it to fall off your credit report before attempting to settle offers no clear advantage.  The judgment will fall off no matter what under clearly defined circumstances whether you satisfy it or not.  What is usually a prime factor to consider is the statute of limitations (SOL) in your state for the enforcement of judgments.  If the SOL has expired, you are usually in a stronger position to negotiate.   

Now, the question is, "Should you settle?"  While on its face 60% seems quite good, your debt is already 400% higher than what it originally was.  I would look at the actual court documents and see just what the judgment amount was and what costs were added to reach $8,000.  You need to be very careful with Dominion as many believe they are more your average cesspool CA than a law firm.  That said, what will Dominion do to enforce their judgment?  Will they garnish your wages?  Will they attach your bank accounts?  Use the judgment to create a lien on any property you own?  Do you even live in Virginia?  Were you served properly when they sued you?  Did they obtain a default judgment?  Are you serving in the Armed Forces?  I would have a local attorney look at this and if you feel that Dominion has the desire, ability and track record to aggressively enforce their judgment, 60% may be ok.

2.  Anybody who ever advises you to not see an attorney is not at all credible.  There are many free or low-cost alternatives available when it comes to getting legal advice.  For example, the Virginia State Bar operates the Virginia Lawyer Referral Service which will advise you if you even need an attorney and then set you up with a 1/2 hour initial consultation for $35.  Dealing with Dominion, $35 is money well spent.

3.  It is totally false that unpaid judgments can remain on your credit report until paid.  Judgments in, for example, Virginia, are valid for 10 years and can be renewed for a further 10 years, though the vast majority of judgments are not renewed by judgment creditors.  In any event, this only refers to the judgment itself and not how long it may appear on your credit report.  Judgments may be reported on your credit report for a period of time not to exceed the state's statute of limitations on enforcement of the judgment whether or not the judgment has been paid.  This means that, in theory, the judgment can remain for 10 years and, depending on the method used by the state for renewal of judgments, possibly for an additional 10 years in Virginia.  However, in practice, each of the credit reporting agencies will drop the judgment from your credit report after 7 years -- whether or not it is paid.

4.  Depending on state law, judgment creditors generally can garnish wages and / or seize bank accounts.  There are, however, exceptions.  For example, certain sources of income cannot be attached.  If your bank account contains, fo example, SSI payments, the account cannot be levied against.  Still, the judgment creditor can try and it is up to you to defeat their attempt.  The bad part, however, is that your bank will levy a fee each time the judgment creditor does try to attach your bank account whether the attempt is successful or not.  If you are worried about your bank accounts being raided, there are steps you can take to eliminate the possibility.

Message 3 of 12
New-Girl

Thanks for the info.

1. I am in VA.    It was a default judgement .  The only property I own is a vehicle jointly titled with my husband.

4. I am an independant contractor who works on commission only (1099). I do not have a checking or savings account, I use my husbands until this is settled.  I would like to have a checking account but I have been afraid that they would take money out because of this.  If I opened a checking account what could I do to protect it?

I am going to see a lawyer and see what the options are.  I really appreciate your assistance.

Message 4 of 12
New-Girl

The judgement was filed by Great Senaca Foundation C/O [Edited to remove personal information] who is the Vice-president of the law firm that owns Dominion Law Associates.  The first time they filed the warrant was  not found/unserved.  I don't know if that matters.  I guess Providian sold/gave it to Great Senaca Corp. who transferred it to Dominion? I did speak to them on the phone and now I am worried.......................

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@New-Girl wrote:

Thanks for the info.

1. I am in VA.    It was a default judgement .  The only property I own is a vehicle jointly titled with my husband.

4. I am an independant contractor who works on commission only (1099). I do not have a checking or savings account, I use my husbands until this is settled.  I would like to have a checking account but I have been afraid that they would take money out because of this.  If I opened a checking account what could I do to protect it?

I am going to see a lawyer and see what the options are.  I really appreciate your assistance.

There are not likely to be able to get your car.  They are also unlikely to be able to garnish any wages.  If you have no real estate in your name, it would seem that you are pretty much judgment proof.  "Judgment proof" means that although they have a judgment against you, there is virtually no way they can enforce their judgment and end up with what they really want -- cash.  Being judgment proof generally places you in a stronger position to negotiate.

If you opened a checking account and the money you put into it is not exempt from seizure, then I would refrain.  In some states they cannot seize joint accounts, but even were your account exempt they could try to seize and you'd have to fight them off.  Even if you ultimately prevail, your bank will charge you fees -- sometimes hefty fees.  Stick to using your husband's for the time being.

What is interesting is that the judgment is a default judgment.  This opens up more and easier possibilities to attack the judgment.  Were you properly served?  If Dominion is as sleazy as manyy say they are, chances are service was somehow defective.  Even if it does not appear to be defective, one legal strategy is to challenge the judgment via a Motion to Vacate.  Dominion will have to either appear and defend themselves, or the judgment will be vacated and cease to exist. 

You mention Providian and that the judgment is from 2004.  If this debt involves a credit card account and you prevail with your motion, Dominion will be time-barred from turning around and suing you again.  Now, going into court Dominion knows there is significant risk that they will walk away holding the dirty end of the stick.  Rather than run that risk, most creditors would start to consider offering very, very attractive settlement offers.  If they went down to, say, $3k, I'd consider that fair.

Of course, if you get an attorney to help you do this then these very, very attractive settlement offers usually turn into fire sales.  Or you could just walk away and owe nothing if your attorney actually convinces the court to vacate the judgment.

Message 6 of 12
New-Girl

Thank you so much.  I really appreciate it.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a judgement that was issued against me in 2004, the collection agency demanded $2000 and the judge only ordered me to pay $496. He told the attorney to contact me with payment arrangements and I was to begin to pay. They never contacted me so I contacted them. Everytine I was told they were getting something in the mail. I  was later garnished for close to $2000, when I went to court to stop the garnishment I had a reciept showing that I had paid the $496. The collection agency found out where I was employed (a new job), but was sending my mail to an address I had not lived in over 5 years. I had updated my address when I spoke with them so I did not understand why they did that. This gave the agency time to apply interest to the judgement. On my credit report they are refusing to show that the $496 has been paid because the attorney said technically I still owe them $1336 and altough the $496 is paid, the judgement has not been satisfied. This debt has been paid off for years and the agency will not report that it is paid. Is this legal? Can a company not report that the judgement is satisfied and hurt your credit score int his way?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a judgement that was issued against me in 2004, the collection agency demanded $2000 and the judge only ordered me to pay $496. He told the attorney to contact me with payment arrangements and I was to begin to pay. They never contacted me so I contacted them. Everytine I was told they were getting something in the mail. I  was later garnished for close to $2000, when I went to court to stop the garnishment I had a reciept showing that I had paid the $496. The collection agency found out where I was employed (a new job), but was sending my mail to an address I had not lived in over 5 years. I had updated my address when I spoke with them so I did not understand why they did that. This gave the agency time to apply interest to the judgement. On my credit report they are refusing to show that the $496 has been paid because the attorney said technically I still owe them $1336 and altough the $496 is paid, the judgement has not been satisfied. This debt has been paid off for years and the agency will not report that it is paid. Is this legal? Can a company not report that the judgement is satisfied and hurt your credit score int his way?

When did they garnish your wages? 

I'd have to see all the documentation in order to understand everything, but what might have happened is that  between the time the judgment was handed down and the time you actually paid what was ordered is that there was interest accruing.  There might have also been an award for costs & fees on the judgment.

Was the wrong address the CA was using the same as the address they used when they sued you in 2004? 

In virtually every state a judgment creditor must report directly to the court clerk within a certain time period -- usually 2 weeks -- that a judgment has been satisfied.  Unfortunately, however, the 2-week period usually does not begin until the judgment debtor makes a formal demand in writing. 

There seem to be many variables in your case and I would suggest you find a local attorney for assistance.  There is a chance you may be able to sue the CA.

Message 9 of 12
New-Girl

It has been over 10 years since they filed the judgment in General District and did not renew it from what I can tell.  It appears the judgment is not enforcable.  What should I do now? 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.