Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement not satisfied??? WHAT???????

tag
princesstooth
New Contributor

Judgement not satisfied??? WHAT???????

So I had been cleaning up my reports as much as possible.  I got rid of alot of old collections and charge offs and watched my score rise to where it's at now at 650.  I've been gardening with the hopes of going on an app spree soon until something got me wondering about a judgement I have on my CR.  I paid that 3 yrs ago so never thought anything about it.  Until a few days ago.  There was nothing on it saying it was satisfied.  Still showed a balance, so I called Equifax to see what they were showing the balance to be and the status.  Rep comes back and says there is a balance unpaid and the account has not been satisfied.  WHAT?!?!?!?  So I call the credit union where the judgement is from and told the lady what was going on.  She's looking into it and is going to call me back.  UGH!!  So upset.  Something on this forum red flagged me into looking a little closer at that judgement and made me want to call just to check on it.  So glad everyone here shares there experiences and encourages people to take charge!!   So now I wait for the phone call to let me know what's going on and what I need to do next!!!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Judgement not satisfied??? WHAT???????

By law the attorney handling the case only had so long to report the satisfaction to the courts.

Have you contacted the court clerk to see what they are showing on your judgment?  Call them and see if it is or is not.

Do you have anything showing it was satisfied?

Message 2 of 14
huntsmama
New Contributor

Sorry to piggyback, but Guiness, you mentioned they legally only have a certain amount of time to file it satisfied. I had a judgement that wasn't filed satisfied till 2 years later and now I'm fighting because they're reporting the satisfied date wrong.

Do you know what these time limits are or where we can find them and how to proceed/what actions can be taken if they've violated the law?

Message 3 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Wow 2 years. 

It goes by state laws but is a very short time, like 30 days I believe.

Message 4 of 14
huntsmama
New Contributor

What should I do about it and what would be the benefit?

I'm going to be filing a dispute through consumerfinance.gov because I have the filing of satisfaction which shows the proper date satisfied, instead of report it was satisfied in 2/11 they're reporting 2/13

Message 5 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you have the letter of satisfaction, send it to the CRAs and ask them to update the satisfied date.

If it is a judgment, not a tax lien, no benefit really.  They will be removed at 7 years from filing date, paid or not.  Unless you live in NY it is 5 years.

A tax lien is 7 years from date satisfied.

Message 6 of 14
huntsmama
New Contributor

I've sent it to the CRA's, they're not updating, sending it back verified, so i figured going the other route.

And I do indeed live in NY...falling off in a little over a year but I'm hoping to buy a house before that and I figure on manual underwriting it'll look better if it shows I paid it 2 years earlier than it does now.

Thanks for the info!

Message 7 of 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes it will look better showing it was paid 2 years earlier than reported.

Message 8 of 14
princesstooth
New Contributor

Well I talked to the gal at the bank and she verified that I had not paid off the judgement. There were two loans that I was paying on and apparently I only paid off one and not the full amount of the other. I need to go through my cancelled checks to be sure she's right but this sucks! So will the date this falls off my report start when this is settled or from the date it was filed?
Message 9 of 14
princesstooth
New Contributor

Sorry just read previous post. Its from filing date. I hope this will boost my score when it shows satisfied on my CR!!!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.