Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement on Credit report not mine...how to prove

tag
Ljames1970
Valued Member

Judgement on Credit report not mine...how to prove

I started my credit repair journey a month  ago. I got a copy of all three credit reports. On my experian report there is a judgement that is mine! It has a joint defendant her spouse. Whose name is obviously not the same as my spouse. This judgement was obtained in 2010. I wasn't married and changed my name to the same name on the judgement until april 2011.  The person was served in a town I have never lived in as she has moved. I live in a small town. The clerk at the courthouse even said she knew it wasn't me but she couldn't do anything about it.  (Seriously???) I contacted the supermarket who got the judgement and I know the lady who works in their business office. She immediately said no this is definitely not you.  No one seems to know how to remove this even though everyone admits its not me!! I disputed it as not me and it came back verified!! Any advice as to what I should do next? Thanks in advance  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Ljames1970
Valued Member

Re: Judgement on Credit report not mine...how to prove

Sorry it sould say not mine.

Message 2 of 6
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Did you get a copy of the judgement and any other documents on this from the court?
Message 3 of 6
Ljames1970
Valued Member

I got a copy of the judgement and a copy of where the summons was served.

Message 4 of 6
InvincibleSummer3
Established Contributor

It sounds like the issue, then, is not with the judgment (which is in the right name) but with the fact that it's reporting on your credit report. I would dispute it with the CRA's as "not mine". There's an older thread here with someone in a similar position:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Public-Records-Dad-s-Judgement-on-my-Cred...

Good luck!

Message 5 of 6
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

From what I've read, and my own experience, the CRAs rarely delete PRs on first dispute. You may have to send copies of the paperwork to all 3. I would circle in red, the important and obvious info, SS# if it's there, incorrect name, address, etc. and write not me or not mine in the border next to the circled item. Write cover letter saying 'This is not me, remove immediately.

You might also want to get a copy of your Lexis Nexis report to make sure it's not on there.

Also, check the link Invincible gave you for other ideas.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.