Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement paid but business no loger exsists

tag
Jesusgirl70
Established Member

Judgement paid but business no loger exsists

I have a judgement on my report that was paid in full but is not reporting as such on my CR.  i can't contact the original creditor because they are no longer in business. How can I go about getting this removed?  The court has not been any help in resolving any questions I have.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Judgement paid but business no loger exsists

All state statutes/rules of civil procedure of which I am aware require the judgment creditor to report satisfaction of the judment to the court wiith a set period after receiving payment.  I would contact the clerk of the court and inquire as to whether notice of satisfaction of the debt was submitted.  That would be evidence of satisfaction.

If the judgment creditor did not comply with their requirement to file a notice of satisfaction with the court, and now does not exist, then their heir to the account would be the responsble party for update of reporting.  Do you know who that might be?

However, if you paid the now defunct creditor prior to any heir acquring ther accounts, it is highly unlikely that the new creditor would have any records on the account.

So I see the dilemma.........

Best bet then would be to try to dig out some documentation from your files of payment of the debt, and use that as basis for disputing the accuracy of the current status with the CRA.  The CRA can, under their reinvestigation authority, make the required change.

Message 2 of 3
Jesusgirl70
Established Member

Re: Judgement paid but business no loger exsists

Thank you.  I'll pay another visit to the clerk and see what I come up with.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.