Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgement question

Thanks to all who have posted on this forum it has provided me with much help in digging out of a financial hole due to a failed business venture when the economy tanked  There was a judgement on my CR that I disputed because I knew nothing about it, I was never served  and I dont live in the state where the judgement was registered. It was removed from my CR. 

The credit card company from the judgement (Capital One)  still posts monthly on my CR.  It is due to fall off the CR in July.  I dont dispute the debt and am wondering if I send a PFD to have it settled and removed if I will run the risk of judgement reappearing and have to start that judgement dispute process again. 

I would like to purchase a home when this last issue is resolve. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgement question

Others may disagree, but I would just let sleeping dogs lie in this instance. You were very lucky to get the judgment removed.

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks to all who have posted on this forum it has provided me with much help in digging out of a financial hole due to a failed business venture when the economy tanked  There was a judgement on my CR that I disputed because I knew nothing about it, I was never served  and I dont live in the state where the judgement was registered. It was removed from my CR. 

The credit card company from the judgement (Capital One)  still posts monthly on my CR.  It is due to fall off the CR in July.  I dont dispute the debt and am wondering if I send a PFD to have it settled and removed if I will run the risk of judgement reappearing and have to start that judgement dispute process again. 

I would like to purchase a home when this last issue is resolve. 

Personally I would wait till July to settle the judgment, then there is no chance it can reappear as it can only remain on file for one 7 year run from the date it was filed for. Since the Cap-1 TL would also time out in July there would be no need for the PFD. If you send the PFD now and its accepted then the judgment could end up back  on your report as a paid judgment when some company picks up that info from the courthouse. welcome to My fico Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The issue is whether it was determined that you did not, in fact, have a judgment.

When you disputed the judgment based on your lack of knowldege of the proceeding, the CRA checked the publc record to determine whehter it showed a judgment.

If they deleted, then they apparently determined that there was no judgment in fact found in the publie records they reviewed.

When they sent their Notice of Results of Reinvestigation, which is their formal statement of results of your dispute. what was their stated reason for deletion?

Have you contacted the court and verified there was no judgment against you?

How sure are you that there was no judgment rendered by a court?

If there was no judgment in fact, then it cant reappear.

However, if deletion occured for some reason other than confirmation of no judgment in fact, then there is not prohbition against it being reinserted if subsequently found to still be in the public record.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.