Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgement question

My husband had a foreclosure several years ago. It was sold. There was a tax bill sent to us when it was sold. We never recieved information about a judgement. Fast forward 5 years later - we rebuilt our credit, got his scores up over 750 (thanks, myfico forums!) and bought another house!

Here's the sticky part... the closing attorney called us before the closing to tell us that we could not sell or refinance our new house because there is a $10K judgement against us for the old house. WHAT? It does not show up on his credit. I did find it in public records, but I was not about to poke the bear during closing and call anyone about it. However, I was wondering if there is any recourse or anywhere I can find out information about it if we never got any notice... and we were able to buy another house! This does NOT make any sense to us. 

Can you help guide us? Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgement question

If you were successful in having it vacated, the debt doesn't go away. The only way to prevent a fresh judgement is to immediately pay the creditor if you prevailed at getting it vacated. The current judgement can appear on your reports at anytime.

If you are successful at getting the current judgement vacated, the court will immediately issue a new court date to start over. That's why it's key to have it taken care of immediately.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgement question

But we were never notified there was a judgement. We have no documentation... Nothing?! And it didn't affect the purchase of our current home. What does vacate mean? HOw can I work to resolve this? I don't even know who to contact or how to fix it?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.