Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement that's in collections

tag
bestchoiceglobal
Contributor

Judgement that's in collections

Hi everybody! So I've been rebuilding for a while now and paying some old debts. All baddies are set to fall off next year so I'm pretty excited! I had a Judgement from 2009 for $935. I've been putting it off for a couple reasons. The first being I'm still bitter about the situation and I don't feel like I should be paying these crooks anything! That doesn't matter now though because I didn't go to court and plead my case, I now owe it. The second being that it was sent to collections and is now at $1800.

I want to clear this up but $1800? Yikes. Do I contact the OC and offer to pay the original amount? Do I contact the CA and settle? If I go through the CA will they just update as paid or will they go to the courts as well and let them know the judgement is satisfied?

The judgement is only showing up on 2 reports and the CA is only showing up on 1. Nobody has reported since 2010. If that info makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgement that's in collections

How did this judgement come about?

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt collector is the plaintiff who sued you and was awarded the judgment, they are the owner of the debt.

If the OC does not own the debt, they cannot accept any payment.

The rules of civil procedure  require notification to the judgment court when a judgment has been satisfied, so they wil be required to notify the court in addition to updating the balance under collection to $0.

Message 3 of 7
bestchoiceglobal
Contributor

Norman, it was from an old apartment I had. I went 2 months without heat in the middle of winter and snow which to my understanding is something that was supposed to be fixed within 48hours. They probably didn't like me but I was tired of having my kids run around in jackets and freezing myself. I was a couple days maybe 5, behind on my rent. I came home from work, locks were changed and my belongings were in the dumpster. No court papers just told me they could do it because I "abandoned" the property. So I had a hard time ever wanting to pay these guys.
Message 4 of 7
bestchoiceglobal
Contributor

Robert, the OC is who has the judgement not the CA. That's what I'm confused about. They didn't pursue the judgement just send me to collections? It's odd.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bestchoiceglobal wrote:
Norman, it was from an old apartment I had. I went 2 months without heat in the middle of winter and snow which to my understanding is something that was supposed to be fixed within 48hours. They probably didn't like me but I was tired of having my kids run around in jackets and freezing myself. I was a couple days maybe 5, behind on my rent. I came home from work, locks were changed and my belongings were in the dumpster. No court papers just told me they could do it because I "abandoned" the property. So I had a hard time ever wanting to pay these guys.

Jeez... As a former apartment manager, I can tell you, what these people did was highly illegal and you could have sued their asses off - one for renting a place that was not habitable (no heat in freezing weather), and two for a *clearly* illegal eviction. I don't blame you for refusing to pay them a cent.

Man, I thought I heard it all.....

Message 6 of 7
bestchoiceglobal
Contributor

Ha...yeah i can only look at it as a learning experience. I knew it was illegal but I didn't know what to do or who to contact. My main concern was figuring out where to live.

Luckily we don't rent anymore Smiley Happy Our place is only under my husbands name and we were hoping to refi together. Worried about this judgement though :/
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.