Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgement

I am in the process of trying to rebuild my credit.  I went to college from 1996-1999 (I didn't finish).  I became a single mom of 2 while going-which is partly why I couldn't finish.  I had accumulated roughly $25000 in student loans.  About 7000 of this was from my state (WI).  When I dropped out, I literally couldn't pay them.  I was even told by a collection agency on the federal loans to go on food stamps so I could send them money.  Anyway, after years of my tax returns and wages being garnished by the gov. and a judgement entered against me by the university, I am trying to get back in shape.  My federal loans are back from default and I am paying on them each month.  The university, however, is garnishing my wages.  Unfortunately, the $5000 I had left to pay turned into $12000 after interest, so I still have about $9000 left to pay on them.  My question is-the judgements were entered on 10/99 and 2/00.  Should they still be on my credit report?  They have had to renew the garnishment a couple of times, but I was hoping that even though it will be a while before I pay them off-that it could fall off of my credit report.  I have 2 years of good credit, 2 cards that are paid on time every month with very low balances, but I feel like these judgements will haunt me forever!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Judgement

It is not uncommon for the effective date of a judgment to be updated based on renewed motions before the court to modify the judgment.  Knowledgeable credtiors can often keep the judgment active for credit report inclusion purposes long past the original 7 years from the first date of judgment.

Also be aware that, when considering the lingering effects of government insured or guaranteed loans on your credit score, the normal 7 year credit report exclusion period for monthly delinquencies is lengthened under separate legislative provisions of the Higher Education Act.  See the footnote attached to FCRA 605(a)(5).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.