Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgement

I have a judgment on my report from 10/08.  I believe it is from a Sears card that I had and stopped paying in 05.  Recently I received a settlement letter from the Lawyer for the collection agent (LVNV) that they will settle for less than half the total.  I would like to take care of this because I want to get a mortgage soon and this is the only negative on my report right now.  If I settle for less than the full amount, will this show that the judgement has been satisfied?  Is that something that I have to specifically ask for?  Can I ask to have the judgement be removed completely?  Thanks for your input.

Ted

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Judgement

If I were you ~ in exchange for payment I would ask the CA attorney to file a motion with the court to vacate the judgement, so that it could be removed from your CR. Essentially it would be a PFD, as opposed to just having the judgement marked as satisfied.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
dharalex
Established Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
If I were you ~ in exchange for payment I would ask the CA attorney to file a motion with the court to vacate the judgement, so that it could be removed from your CR. Essentially it would be a PFD, as opposed to just having the judgement marked as satisfied.
+1 Do whatever you can to get it removed. Don't let them tell you they can't remove it, because they can! Good luck!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 3 of 9
Booner72
Senior Contributor

It should show as satisfied, yes.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lawyer is Apothacker and Associates, I have read some things that make me nervous about them.  I am going to try and contact the court and find out if they were the one to file the suit or not.  It is my understanding that only the lawyer who filed can vacate the judgement, correct?

Message 5 of 9
dharalex
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The lawyer is Apothacker and Associates, I have read some things that make me nervous about them.  I am going to try and contact the court and find out if they were the one to file the suit or not.  It is my understanding that only the lawyer who filed can vacate the judgement, correct?

The court vacates the order, but the original creditor or their representative (attorney) makes a motion to vacate.

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to locate my information on the county court website and they are the same lawyer.  I will try to get them to move to vacate the judgement, I will be certain to get that in writing though.

Message 8 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was able to locate my information on the county court website and they are the same lawyer.  I will try to get them to move to vacate the judgement, I will be certain to get that in writing though.

Good luck with your request, and yes ~ you should absolutely get it in writing.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.