Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement

tag
lovechelsie
Established Member

Judgement

I have a judgement on my report. How horrible is this to my credit and what can I do now?
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

Re: Judgement

Its pretty bad. pay it off if you havent already and hope that you live in a state that will allow you to vacate after the fact. call the courthouse that entered the judgement or the opposing attorney and ask them if they'd be willing to vacate after you satisfy. that's pretty much all you can do. good luck.
Message 2 of 21
lovechelsie
Established Member

When I was summoned for it, I went to some random office building, to a little room with someone trying to get me to pay it and it was just so fishy. It was declared and filed against me Sept 1, 2008.
Message 3 of 21
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

You never stood in front of an actual JUDGE? Is that what you're saying here? Id definately make sure an actual judge signed said judgement.
Message 4 of 21
lovechelsie
Established Member

No I don't think I did. It was a room in a building. It's for my Bank of America cc back in the day. I received a court ordered summon and appeared where I was supposed to, but it was just a guy in a room a little bigger than a bathroom trying to get me to pay.
Message 5 of 21
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

I don't understand what happened here. Unless the guy youre referring to was attorney for BOA. you had a right to stand in front of judge and argue your case. shogun or Robert may have to chime in on this one. your description of events seem a little weird to me.
Message 6 of 21
LadyLeah
Contributor

Yeah sometimes those court appearances take place in courtrooms that look more like janitor's closets. I filed criminal charges against someone years ago and the case was heard in an office/conference room kinda place.

Anyway, I would just pay it. It'll fall off in about 26 mos anyway.

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@randyrhodes wrote:
I don't understand what happened here. Unless the guy youre referring to was attorney for BOA. you had a right to stand in front of judge and argue your case. shogun or Robert may have to chime in on this one. your description of events seem a little weird to me.

Sounds fishy to me.

I was going to say mediator but not so much now.

Even a mediation is done in the courthouse then you see the judge.

I would contact the court clerk and ask for all documents pertaining to the case be sent to you.

Apparently, you did NOT get your day in court.

Message 8 of 21
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@LadyLeah wrote:
Yeah sometimes those court appearances take place in courtrooms that look more like janitor's closets. I filed criminal charges against someone years ago and the case was heard in an office/conference room kinda place.

Anyway, I would just pay it. It'll fall off in about 26 mos anyway.

Yes but, was it in front of a judge?

Message 9 of 21
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Small claims court can sometime look and feel like a casual meeting. However, it blows my mind that someone cannot say with certainty whether or not they appeared before a judge ... because the judge always identify himself/herself, calls the debtor by name when ready to deal with the case. The details of this scenario just does not make sense. Therefore, I'd go back to the cleark of the court and request all details about that event, including the lack of understanding whether or not a judge had met with the debtor and ruled on the case. The only time that a summary judgement will occur is if the debtor does not attend the hearing or refuse to work out a payment arrangement with the creditor right there and then.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.