cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgements on Credit Report

tag
kmr2012

Judgements on Credit Report

I'm trying to rebuild my credit after screwing it up in 2005.  I currently have 4 judgements on my credit report.  All four have been paid but only one says it's been satisfied.  My question is should I inform the Credit Bureaus that they have been paid through a dispute?  Will that hurt my credit score, help or have no effect?  They will fall off as follows 5/16, 12/17, 3/18, 6/19.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Re: Judgements on Credit Report

This is probably better served in the rebuilding forurm but here's my opinion.

At this stage they should have a lower impact on your scores. You can dispute the judgements but I recommend being proactive by providing proof up front, especially if you want this to resolve correctly. The judgements can appear as recently updated but it shouldn't impact your score (from personal experience). I recommend obtaining a physical copy of all your reports, analyzing, then disputing via certified mail, not online.

Good luck

Message 2 of 7
kmr2012

Thanks Cal!

Your advice makes sense.  I do have copies of the court papers & I will look into mailing in a dispute so they can update it.

I should have put it in the Rebuilding Forum.  It's my first post. Oops.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had luck getting a satisfied judgemet removed off of DW TU report a few days ago..I disputed it online and checked the vacated box under the list of options. They deleted it 3days later. Now I'm waiting to see if EQ will remove also. 

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The rules of civil procedure and the statutes/regs of virtually all jurisdictions require judgment creditors to notify the court when their judgment has been discharged.

It is not optional, and has specific timliness requirments.  The court then updates its posted public record of the judgment.

The CRAs do not make independent judgments regarding the substance of judgment information.  They do not contact the courts for verifcation, they simply pull a copy of the current publc record and verify based on its current content.

Your recourse is thus not by way of dispute with the CRA, it is by way of requiring the judgment creditor to notice the court that the judgment has been paid/discharged.

The court will then update the public record.  You then notify the CRA to check the updated public record and update per its current content.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's a satisfied jugdement?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What's a satisfied jugdement?

One that has been paid.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.