Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgment Advice

I have a 6-year old judgment on my EQ and TU report. I want to pay after th 7-year expire. I perhaps am in a hurry to re-establish now. Should I dispute?

I also had a collection account that was a judgment as well from 2005. However it was nevr reported to any CA only showed on reports as a collection and not a judgment. I did a PFD with collection agency and it is now gone. Curious I called the Clerk of Court and asked if they updated paid in full (sorry small fib here "Under-Investuagtion by me sounds better) to see if they updated. The Clerk said they do not report or update judgments the creditor does and I should call them. My question is, what are the chances of the 2005 account being found at the Clerks office and added if I dispute the 6-year old judgment.

If the Clerk of Court does not report or verify who does?

Thanks
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Re: Judgment Advice

Hello, Pawpaw:

If you are going to dispute the 6-year old judgment, why pay it off? Do you want to dispute it to have it removed, or do you want to PIF? If you want to PIF, contact the creditor and get it in writing that they will remove it from your CR once it has been PIF.

The Clerk of the Court does not do the reporting. The creditor does. Since it has not hit your CR in 3 years, I say leave well enough alone. This is to your advantage so don't go doing something that can cause more damage to your CR.

Just my opinion.
Message 2 of 20
learningstage
Established Member

So for validation purposes the CRA must contact the OC nto the clerk of court for a judgement.  If this is so what if you have a creditor that is out of business.... must the judgement be removed?
Message 3 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

learningstage wrote:
So for validation purposes the CRA must contact the OC nto the clerk of court for a judgement.  If this is so what if you have a creditor that is out of business.... must the judgement be removed?

I wouldn't pay it. I don't think its really effecting your credit report like it use to. Unless you are trying to get a mortgage, i'd pay it. If you just want to increase your score, then i'd wait for it to be removed.
Message 5 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

In some states unpaid judgments are renewable beyond the original SOL for the judgment. It really depends on what state they are in. In WA, the SOL for a judgment is 10 years, in some it is 20 years. It stays on your report for 7 AFTER it is paid.
Message 6 of 20
learningstage
Established Member

I am in NC disputing with the bureas.. had a situation with the community that placed the judgement.. but can't contact them to correct it because they were out of bus. so i am wondering about the success of my disputes... judgement since 2001
Message 7 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

NC SOL for a judgment is 10 years. Since the date of the judgment is 2001 it will be on your report until at least 2011. They also may be able to renew the judgment so many times.
Message 8 of 20
learningstage
Established Member

what i am trying to ask is who is going to renew it... the creditor is no longer existent? is the state going to renew.. it please read my posts again..?
Message 9 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would think the person/s who sued in the first place would file a renewal affidavit. How do you know they have not sold the debt to someone else before going out of business? As I said, SOL for judgments in NC are 10 years, you still have 3 left. Since it is a valid debt and you dispute it, be prepared for it to reappear on your CR if it is taken off.

Message Edited by guiness56 on 04-29-2008 05:27 PM
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.