cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment Against Me

tag
RD464

Judgment Against Me

My mother called today and said I received some certified mail at my childhood home in NJ. I was concerned and asked her to open it. The letter was a judgement issued against me from Portfolio Recovery Associates in the amount of $3500 from a credit card I opened back in 1998. It claims that I last made payment on the account back in 2000 ( I have no recollection of this, not saying it may not be true, I just don't recall this). A couple points: none of this shows up on my current credit report and I haven't lived at that address in 15+ years. What do I do?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Judgment Against Me

First step would be to do your research and find out what court issued the judgement against you, if any.  Then you would need to see what process they used to serve you and if it was proper.  (There are a lot of Sewer Services out there that didn't do what they are supposed to do in regards to process serving).

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
RD464

How does one go about researching those processes?
Message 3 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I'm assuming you would start in the county court where you used to live.   The old address that they just sent the paperwork to.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 7
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

You can search online for NJ judgements. There is a county as well as a state website for judgements searches. The judgement I had last year was listed on the state site. If you have the docket number it's a bit easier. If you need to get a copy you do need to contact the county court clerk.
Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Doe it say when the judgment was filed?    SOL for CC debt in NJ is 6 years.  If you did make a payment in 2000 they would have had to file sometime in 2006.

Message 6 of 7
RD464

Thanks for the tips everyone. So far, when I access the NJ searchable index I cant find any record of any judgements against me.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.