Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment Help Please!!

tag
meka1984
Regular Contributor

Judgment Help Please!!

I was contacted by Kahrs Law office in Wichita, KS about a debt. I asked them to validate and they did on September 12. I received the validation on September 15 and they said for me to call and make payment arrangements. They filed a lawsuit against me 1 week later.

I have faxed them and called numerous time. No one will return my call.

I'm unsure what to do as the court date is this Wednesday. They have offered to settle and I'm willing to; however, I can't reach anyone in the office. I fax letters and call over and over. It almost seems like they want to go to court.

They did respond and asked me to sign a judgement journal entry and agree to pay $125 a month. I am trying to pay the full $1330 in one lump sum without the judgment. I've never known a company not willing to take my money.  

What should I do? Has anyone experienced this? Should I drive to the office and pay.

HELP PLEASE.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgment Help Please!!

Try asking around in here

a few days is not much time, but they seem to know their way around and may be willing to offer some advice.

Message 2 of 8
meka1984
Regular Contributor

Thank you. But just to be clear, I've been in contact for for weeks. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If willing to pay the full amount being asserted, then the court will not conduct a trial.

In view of the short time until trial date, there is probably insufficient time for the plaintiff to notify the court of dismissal of their suit, and for you to then receive formal notice from the court.

Thus, you should still show at court, and make sure the plaintifff notifies the court of full satisfaction of the debt, and that their suit is dismissed.

Message 4 of 8
meka1984
Regular Contributor

In one letter, they mentioned that court could be cancelled 2 days before. Thank you.

Message 5 of 8
meka1984
Regular Contributor

I will still attend court. That would probably be best.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would contact the BBB and Cfpb, I know they have laws for collections agencies must answer a phone within 1 minute of calling them.  You could put pressure on them to have it dismissed.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are going through the exact same thing.  First and foremost, I would not sign the Agreed Judgement Entry.  We received one as well after making payment arrangements.  I am not sure when your court date is, but ours was about the same time as well and when we told the guy at court that we made payment arrangements and would like to make a settlement offer, they continued the court date to November 18, 2014.  The Agreed Judgment Entry is for them.  If you stop making payments, then they can continue on with court action and get a garnishment against you for the full amount plus accrued interest.  My brother owns Castle Law Offices and we have discussed this with him.  We are proceeding to the next court date to have all the facts heard by the judge.  My brother informed me that (our case was already filed) after a case has been filed they can no longer contact you regarding payment arrangements or settlements unless the judge orders it in court.  If you can full pay this, I would recommend that you call the (316)269-4343 and leave a message.  Ask for a settlement offer.  Then pay.  All payments to this lawyer should be by check so you can show proof of payment.  My fiance and I found a previous suit against him where he had collected payments and did not forward them to the creditor.  Also, on our Agreed Judgement Entry it reflects when we were to make our first payment and since we have made a second payment and neither of those are reflected in the paperwork.  Once again, I would not sign the paperwork they sent you and let the judge know you already made payment arrangements and therefore do not understand why a judgement is necessary.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.