Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment *NEW

tag
melrobinson1
Valued Member

Judgment *NEW

Ok, I'm a little ticked off and I feel a bit discouraged and shafted. Here is the story.

When I reviewed my credit report - I contacted everyone on my report to arrange payment and get things resolved. To my dismay - One credit card that was charged off has NO Collection Agency listed, so I contacted the Creditor myself, and they were no help. As time progressed I seen an open case online with my name and this Attorney Office. I contacted them IMMEDIATELY. I asked how did they get this debt in their office and they said there client "Besthesda Funding" hired them. Mind you.....I've never received any correspondence from this company nor are they on my credit report. The person at the lawfirm said they don't report to the credit bureaus, and I'm questioning, than how would I have known that? They have an address that I haven't lived at for three years.  I asked them to validate this debt to protect myself. The letter was dated July 12. He told me if I remit the payment than everything will be vacated; however, it wasn't on my credit report nor have I received papers to appear in court. I sent payment in on July 21. To my dismay - they haven't received it and the judgment hit my credit report today. The chargeoff happened in January 2008. I'm not even know what MD Statues of Limitations are and if they expired.

I just find this shisty because I never once received ANY written correspondence from these companies until most recently when I asked them to send me something in writing of what I owe.

All and any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2012 - THE YEAR OF HOMEOWNERSHIP!
"Keeping my eye on the prize"
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Judgment *NEW

I'd start by getting info from the court about this case. MD shows detailed court info online.

SOL didn't matter if no defense was offered (and I know you didn't know), but I'm sure SOL had not expired anyway.

Maybe you can get it off through that attorney or due to service issues for not being served. I don't know what MD law states.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

MD SOL is 3 years!!  So I'm pretty sure you got them since the charge off happened in Jan 08.

Message 3 of 5
melrobinson1
Valued Member

*Update* Did some homework and spoke to an Attorney for FREE! Basically, if any creditor puts a judgment out on you, and you haven't been properly "summons" to appear in court, you're entitled to go the courthouse where the case was placed and complete a form in the clerks office stating just that! I did not receive a writ summons and the address they had was 3 years old! I called the law firm and spoke to one of their Partners. It seems the guy I spoke to originally is a Paralegal. I told him (after I confirmed) that MD SOL is 3 yrs and they were 8 months over due with a judgment; however, it wasn't like I didn't send them a full payment! In the interim, a letter from his law firm will me mailed from his office tommorrow stating "This case is vacated". I will fax and snail mail copies to the credit bureaus and courthouse. Although his office will do the same thing; however, one thing I'm learning quickly is "Aggressive" measures is how you get things handled! Thanks for the replies! I was a bit ticked off this morning, and it goes to show me knowledge is power and as long as I know my rights and continue to be educated by these forums - "The sky is the limit" Ok...One down....the fight continues! To be continued...
2012 - THE YEAR OF HOMEOWNERSHIP!
"Keeping my eye on the prize"
Message 4 of 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Report them to the BBB.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.