Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment Question: Case Stayed???

tag
surfnspy
Contributor

Judgment Question: Case Stayed???

Hello all,

I have a judgment public record for $1,208 from Capital One filed 2/2008.

I have paid it off and it is listed as "case stayed." Is that good? Bad? Chances of removal???

Also, is there a way to identify the date it will come off of your report???

I searched though the forum for answers to this exact question but, was unsuccessful.

Thank you!

EX: 750 (05/2015) | EQ: 765 (5/2015) | TU: 765 (5/2015)

Barclays World MasterCard CL: $19K
Capital One MasterCard CL: $3.9K (sock drawer)
CHASE Sapphire Preferred Visa Sig CL: $20K
JPM Ritz Carlton Visa Sig CL: $20K
Inquiries: 1 (EX) 0 (TU) 0 (EQ)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Judgment Question: Case Stayed???

A judgment will remain on a CR for 7 years, from the date filed.

Unless you live in New York, then a paid judgment stay on for 5 years.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@surfnspy wrote:

Hello all,

I have a judgment public record for $1,208 from Capital One filed 2/2008.

I have paid it off and it is listed as "case stayed." Is that good? Bad? Chances of removal???

Also, is there a way to identify the date it will come off of your report???

I searched though the forum for answers to this exact question but, was unsuccessful.

Thank you!

Paying the judgement won't help......the only way that your FICO score will recover will be to have it vacated/set aside.    Start with contacting the plantiff/attorney who filed suit and ask them if they'll agree to file a motion to vacate.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Stayed normally refers to legal proceedings. If the judgment was entered, that proceeding is concluded.

I would go to the courthouse and check out the record of the proceedings to date. 

Message 4 of 6
surfnspy
Contributor

Thank you all for your input. Looks like the motion to vacate may be an option. Are the attorneys who filed the judgement usually agreeable to file the motion (assuming I'm willing to pay)? In better news, said judgment was recently deleted from my TU report.
EX: 750 (05/2015) | EQ: 765 (5/2015) | TU: 765 (5/2015)

Barclays World MasterCard CL: $19K
Capital One MasterCard CL: $3.9K (sock drawer)
CHASE Sapphire Preferred Visa Sig CL: $20K
JPM Ritz Carlton Visa Sig CL: $20K
Inquiries: 1 (EX) 0 (TU) 0 (EQ)
Message 5 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@surfnspy wrote:
Thank you all for your input. Looks like the motion to vacate may be an option. Are the attorneys who filed the judgement usually agreeable to file the motion (assuming I'm willing to pay)? In better news, said judgment was recently deleted from my TU report.

YMMV on this.   Just ask them ( nicely ), and offer to pay their fees/costs for the motion.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.