Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment Recovery Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgment Recovery Question

First off - Hello and Thank you for any feedback!

I have a question regarding a judgment that was filled against me.  

I found out that I had a judgment placed against me.  I was able with in a short period of time rectify the debt (within a few weeks) but was never informed I had to take the receipt I was given to the County Clerk.  That was a few years (almost 2).  From what I've read on this forum it looks like that Judgment may still be active if I didn't turn in my receipt to the county, is that correct?  If that is the case, what do I do now?  I still have the receipt.  How much is it effecting me and can get the judgment removed from my report by turning that receipt into the county?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Judgment Recovery Question

Your judgment is showing unpaid?

Just paying it won't remove it.  Generally, the judgment creditor has to file to have it removed. 

PRs have a huge negative impact on your score.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

Your judgment is showing unpaid?

Just paying it won't remove it.  Generally, the judgment creditor has to file to have it removed. 

PRs have a huge negative impact on your score.

Thank you for the quick response!

The judgment was paid.  I negotiated a settlement with them, paid them, and they gave me a receipt.   But, I never did anything with the county clerks office.  My assumption was once paid, they had a process / obligation to show it as satisfied on my credit report.  But from reading here, it sounds like I had an action item myself.

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They are supposed to show it has paid/satiisfied.  Whether that is through you or not I'm not sure.  Different states have different procedures.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.