Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment Update

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgment Update

Hello All

I had a judgment that I needed to satisfy as a condition of trying to acheive a mortgage.  Even though I had been making payments for years, they wanted it paid off before mortgage pre-approval could happen.  So i decided to contact them and they agreed to settle a $5100 balance for $1000.  I was super stoked.  I just received the satisfaction letter in the mail.  With the satisfaction letter I found another letter with this:

NOW COMES the Judgment Creditor, and through undersigned counsel, hereby states that this
matter is dismissed without prejudice. The Judgment Creditor and Judgment Debtor have come
to terms for a settlement, and the Judgment Debtor has paid the agreed upon amount.

I am hoping this means what I think it means.  I aked them about vacating the judgment after I paid it, but they said they cant do it.  This letter makes it seems like they filed a motion to dismiss. 

If this is true, does anyone know how long it takes for the court to enter these motions normally?  Is this something I could now dispute with all the bureaus and attach this.  I am thinking if I do, I should still wait for the courts to update?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgment Update

I'm not sure how each county's court system works, but you may have to take it to a judge yourself to have a judgment vacated. You can use that letter as evidence.

Message 2 of 4
Rebuilding69
Established Contributor

Not sure on the dismissal part, but doesn't "without prejudice" mean they can bring up a new suit? Not trying to be a Negative Nancy, but just wondering?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Contact the local court that it was filed in and see if a dismissal was filed and if so - if an order was entered dismissing the case.   If so - get a certified copy for your record and send copies to each bureau......

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.