Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment and CA question

tag
taj_laneal
New Contributor

Judgment and CA question

Hello, all.  I have a judgment that is not showing up on my CRs, but that was paid via wage garnishment.  However, the CA is still showing the entire balance is still due.  How do I go about getting this deleted or at least having my CR state that it is paid?  I am looking to buy a house next year, and I want this taken care of as soon as possible.

Starting Score: 09/14 EQ 596 TU 587 EX 588
Current Score: 11/14 EQ 670
TU 602 (CK VantageScore 688)
EX 656

Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MImommy5
New Contributor

Re: Judgment and CA question

i am definately no expert or anything, but what I would do, is send  the CA a letter stating this is paid, and a copy of some proof that it was paid, then..gw it off your reports Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 14
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I have a judgment that is not showing up on my CRs, but that was paid via wage garnishment.  However, the CA is still showing the entire balance is still due. 

hi - i'm really confused.  if it's not showing up on your credit reports, where are you reading that it is showing the balance is still due? 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

I have a judgment that is not showing up on my CRs, but that was paid via wage garnishment.  However, the CA is still showing the entire balance is still due. 

hi - i'm really confused.  if it's not showing up on your credit reports, where are you reading that it is showing the balance is still due? 

I think he means the bad debt tradeline is still reporting, but the judgment they obtained is not reporting.

My only concern would be that by disputing the incorrect data on the tradeline the CA could check their records and start reporting the judgment, too.

Message 4 of 14
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Yes I fully agree with that assumption. 

If they do update, you will have both the negative TL AND the judgment.  As it sits, you only have the one.

I suppose if it came down to it and you had to prove it was paid to get a loan, you would have to deal with it somehow or the other.  For now, let time heal.

Good Luck.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 5 of 14
taj_laneal
New Contributor

Thanks for all the comments.

I learned from reading these boards that CAs don't report judgments.  Companies troll public records and sell them to the CRAs.  The judgment is already paid via wage garnishment.  I'm not sure why a CRA would buy a judgment that is already paid, but maybe there is some benefit that I'm not aware of.  As it stands now, the CA is reporting that I have a balance.  If I dispute, and they report it as paid, at least I wouldn't have an unpaid collection on my CR.  The damage has already been done with the collection being there in the first place.  I'm just trying to do what I can so that I can be in a better position to buy a house next year.

EX 656

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taj_laneal wrote:

Thanks for all the comments.

I learned from reading these boards that CAs don't report judgments.  Companies troll public records and sell them to the CRAs.  The judgment is already paid via wage garnishment.  I'm not sure why a CRA would buy a judgment that is already paid, but maybe there is some benefit that I'm not aware of.  As it stands now, the CA is reporting that I have a balance.  If I dispute, and they report it as paid, at least I wouldn't have an unpaid collection on my CR.  The damage has already been done with the collection being there in the first place.  I'm just trying to do what I can so that I can be in a better position to buy a house next year.

While true that CAs do not normally report judgments, the fact is that a creditor can report their judgment.  There is always that risk.  You have to decide if it is worth it or not.

Have you verified that the court clerk has marked the judgment as satisfied?  If not entered as satisfied on the court clerk's judgment book, it is not paid.

Message 7 of 14
taj_laneal
New Contributor

Another thing is that I wasn't served.  So, I may have grounds for getting the judgment vacated.  Another question would be should I try to get the judgment vacated now, or wait to see if it shows up on my CR?  The judgment was entered in November 2010.

EX 656

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taj_laneal wrote:

Another thing is that I wasn't served.  So, I may have grounds for getting the judgment vacated.  Another question would be should I try to get the judgment vacated now, or wait to see if it shows up on my CR?  The judgment was entered in November 2010.

If the debt is still within the statute of limitations, they can sue you again -- and most likely will when they show up for the court hearing on your motion to vacate.

Message 9 of 14
taj_laneal
New Contributor

What would be their grounds for suing me again?  The debt is paid?

EX 656

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.