Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment and getting a home loan

tag
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Judgment and getting a home loan

If my scores are over 700 but I have a Judgment on my public record (for $2,000), will it be difficult for me to get a loan?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgment and getting a home loan

Hi kal9988,

DH and I had no problem getting our home refinanced with a judgement showing on DH's.  It reports as "satisfied" - even though it was proven faulty and was not paid cuz it was not owed.  Our middle scores were both in the 720-730's.

How old is your judgement?  Was it paid? 

Message 2 of 7
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

As long as its paid you shouldn't have a problem getting a home loan. If you have other derogs, then your chances go down. Almost all morgage lenders need to see your judgment paid or they won't give you a loan.

If you want a CC... then that another story. A judgment is a serious neg for a CC

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
kal9988
Regular Contributor

I'm trying to find a lawyer to fight the judgment. I had a creditor who claimed I owed them money. Their phone number was an automated service, so I wrote them a letter asking to explain what it was for. I never heard a response from them. A year later, my employer gets served with a wage witholding request from the judgment. I have no idea how they can get a judgment against me without me receiving a bill, letter or phone call for over a year.

The judgment is less than a year old. I feel that if I pay it, it will hurt my chances of getting the judgment removed in the court system. What do you guys think?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kal9988 wrote:

I'm trying to find a lawyer to fight the judgment. I had a creditor who claimed I owed them money. Their phone number was an automated service, so I wrote them a letter asking to explain what it was for. I never heard a response from them. A year later, my employer gets served with a wage witholding request from the judgment. I have no idea how they can get a judgment against me without me receiving a bill, letter or phone call for over a year.

The judgment is less than a year old. I feel that if I pay it, it will hurt my chances of getting the judgment removed in the court system. What do you guys think?

Check the court records and see how they claim you were served.  If service was not properly performed, you may have a chance to file a Motion to Vacate and have it favorably considered.

Message 5 of 7
kal9988
Regular Contributor

I was never served, EVER. My employer was served, not me. Does that help in my favor?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kal9988 wrote:

I was never served, EVER. My employer was served, not me. Does that help in my favor?

That could be considered defective service.  You need to check your state's civil procedure law to be sure as it varies from state to state.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.