Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment in NYS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgment in NYS

I'm aware that a paid judgment is to be deleted at the 5 year mark from the date filed for NYS residents.

Doest that apply only to judgments paid in full? Or also if you settle for less?

Thanks for the help.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgment in NYS

A Judement AFAIK, is a court order that is either "satisfied" or its not. To my knowledge there is no 'settled for less' designation.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that in NYS, the underlying Collection/CO derogs must be removed at the 5 year mark if paid but I do not know if the same rule applies to Judgment entries.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm with Norman on this. A judgement is either paid or it's not. The time to settle the debt is before it goes to court and any judgements are issued. Once a judgement is issued, they're entitled to, and will pursue, the full amount.

As far as vacating the judgment, it must be paid first. But I'm not sure about timelines in NYS. This is something I'm sort of working on now to help my father clean up a paid judgement. We're in NYS too.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your reply NormanFH. It does make sense what you are saying.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Defender2000: Got it. Thanks for your input. Do you think they would be opened to a settlement? The judgment is 7 years old. It's supposed to fall off my report on August of this year.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends entirely upon how 'collectible' you appear to be. If you have no signifigant assets, (bank accounts or real property), no job, disabled and not likely to return to work, etc, then they may very well be open to a settlement.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.