Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment lien not on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgment lien not on credit report

I recently went to the court house to see if a previous judgment  lien had been discharged and it has after I settled. Unfortunately, I notice I had one other lien from a creditor but it didn't show on my credit report at all (Not on any three CB's either). Can I file a motion to have the judgment removed or do I have to just settle for the amount owed and hope it doesn't come back on my CR?  Thanks for your input. (Side note: I completely understand that if I owe this I'm obligated to pay) Just want to know my legal options. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
creditFiend
Established Contributor

Re: Judgment lien not on credit report

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently went to the court house to see if a previous judgment  lien had been discharged and it has after I settled. Unfortunately, I notice I had one other lien from a creditor but it didn't show on my credit report at all (Not on any three CB's either). Can I file a motion to have the judgment removed or do I have to just settle for the amount owed and hope it doesn't come back on my CR?  Thanks for your input. (Side note: I completely understand that if I owe this I'm obligated to pay) Just want to know my legal options. 

In my experience, the only way to have a judgement removed or vacate it is to pay it.  If a hearing has already taken place on the judgement & you were not there for it, then they will not just remove it.  Being it is not yet on your credit report is a good thing.  Keep in mind, depending of the SOL in your state, they can renew the judgement at any time & definitely include it on your reports if you do not pay.

When I paid my judgement, it was due to renew & they actually began garnishing my wages.  My judgement was for $1300, but with interest & attorney fees, it was up at $8,000.  It was too late to settle with them, so I took a loan with NFCU & paid them.  They stopped the garnishment, & sent an update to all three bureaus (showing pd. judgement).  After 30-days, I filed a dispute for EE, & it was removed from all three.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.