Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment questions-Please help

tag
disney2
Regular Contributor

Re: UPDATE-need more help--Judgment questions-Please help

I was looking at my EX report and thought the total claim amount on the CRA was different than what is on the actual judgment filed at the courthouse. it is different. The Claim amount on the CRA is showing $1211 and a Date Filed of 12/8/10 while the court document shows a judgment date of 12/8/10 and a date filed of 12/22/10. The amount on the court document shows Principal of $1211.88, Interest $180.23, Attorney fees $164.21, Court costs $257 for a total of $1813.32. Is this a discrepancy I should file on or not?
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You may be able to file a dispute with EX saying the judgement was vacated. EX has been deleting a lot of judgements for people after disputing lately. There was another topic on this elsewhere on this forum. I just recently disputed my judgement because of this and EX just deleted it for me yesterday. My judgement was legit and not due to come off until October of 2017 so nice it's finally gone from EX. Hopefully this helps you. BTW, it's usually better to try and get the whole record deleted instead of just updated information.

Message 12 of 19
disney2
Regular Contributor

Just an update but a pretty good one.  I disputed them with all 3 CBs on 8/26.  I received notice from TU yesterday that they had removed the judgment from my report.  One down!!

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@disney2 wrote:

Just an update but a pretty good one.  I disputed them with all 3 CBs on 8/26.  I received notice from TU yesterday that they had removed the judgment from my report.  One down!!

That'd good news. I was able to get my judgement removed from all three CRAs by disputing. TU and EX deleted right away, EQ said verified then they deleted it two days later. Wish you luck.

Message 14 of 19
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Judgment questions-Please help

@disney2 wrote:
I've been working on clearing up my credit report and trying to pay back old credit cards. I saw one judgment on TU and EQ reports and when I finally got my EX files merged, there were two on there. I got up enough nerve to call the court about them and got some details. They were both from 2010 and should fall off in December 2017. Judgment 1 with FJHanna for Discover and shows on all 3 reports. I dug around and found a letter from FJH saying it was paid in full on 10/3/12. Is there anything I can do to get this one removed from my credit report? Judgment 2 with FJHanna for Capital One and shows only on EX. I found a letter where I was having them draft a payment every month for it in 10/8/12 with a balance of $623.32 but then also found a letter from them in 2015 stating they would take half of what I owed on it which was $368.32. Any ideas on this one? Do I just call them and ask about it? I don't know if I paid it off or not but don't want to wake the sleeping giant and have it then report on all 3 reports. All help is appreciated.

Considering judgements can be renewed, I would try to deal with this soon. An unsatisfied judgement can stay on the credit report 7-10 years depending on State law, and if still unsatisfied can be renewed which will cause it to be entered like a new judgement which will remain another 7-10 years. If renewed, this means 14-20 years on the credit report...my advice, deal with these judgements if not satisfied, you do not want them to renew and restart the clock.

http://blog.nolo.com/bankruptcy/2014/10/15/help-i-got-notice-that-an-old-judgment-has-been-renewed/

This is cut and paste from a law website for California 

California law provides that a judgment is enforceable for ten years. Before it expires, the plaintiff can renew it for another ten years. And then before that ten years expires, the plaintiff can renew the judgment again, for another ten years.

That is 30 years it can be on your report.....Every 10 years it will have the same effect as a new judgement, and it is often accrueing interest....bottom line, deal with this!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

@disney2 wrote:
I've been working on clearing up my credit report and trying to pay back old credit cards. I saw one judgment on TU and EQ reports and when I finally got my EX files merged, there were two on there. I got up enough nerve to call the court about them and got some details. They were both from 2010 and should fall off in December 2017. Judgment 1 with FJHanna for Discover and shows on all 3 reports. I dug around and found a letter from FJH saying it was paid in full on 10/3/12. Is there anything I can do to get this one removed from my credit report? Judgment 2 with FJHanna for Capital One and shows only on EX. I found a letter where I was having them draft a payment every month for it in 10/8/12 with a balance of $623.32 but then also found a letter from them in 2015 stating they would take half of what I owed on it which was $368.32. Any ideas on this one? Do I just call them and ask about it? I don't know if I paid it off or not but don't want to wake the sleeping giant and have it then report on all 3 reports. All help is appreciated.

Considering judgements can be renewed, I would try to deal with this soon. An unsatisfied judgement can stay on the credit report 7-10 years depending on State law, and if still unsatisfied can be renewed which will cause it to be entered like a new judgement which will remain another 7-10 years. If renewed, this means 14-20 years on the credit report...my advice, deal with these judgements if not satisfied, you do not want them to renew and restart the clock.

http://blog.nolo.com/bankruptcy/2014/10/15/help-i-got-notice-that-an-old-judgment-has-been-renewed/

California law provides that a judgment is enforceable for ten years. Before it expires, the plaintiff can renew it for another ten years. And then before that ten years expires, the plaintiff can renew the judgment again, for another ten years.

That is 30 years it can be on your report.....Every 10 years it will have the same effect as a new judgement, and it is often accrueing interest....bottom line, deal with this!!!

CRA's routinely remove judgements at 7 years, regardless of state laws that *may* allow them to stay longer. One of the few "positive" things thay do.

Message 16 of 19
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@disney2 wrote:

CRA's routinely remove judgements at 7 years, regardless of state laws that *may* allow them to stay longer. One of the few "positive" things thay do.

Having no direct experience with a judgement on my CR, I will defer to others experience on this, we all know that laws on the books are often not followed. Thank You!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@disney2 wrote:

Having no direct experience with a judgement on my CR, I will defer to others experience on this, we all know that laws on the books are often not followed. Thank You!

Its not that they are "not following the law". FCRA simply says that it "may not remain longer than" - it does not say that it MUST remain. The CRA's are free to remove anything they wish at any time they wish - as long as it does not remain PAST the legal limits.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jeff500! Smiley Happy I saw your post and figured what the heck might as well try too. I had a judgment from 2011 that I paid in 2014. It was due to come off in Jan of 18. I disputed with EX first and within a week it was deleted. Yesterday I disputed with TU and EQ. Less than 24 hours later TU already deleted it. Now I am just waiting on EQ. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.