Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junk Debt Buyers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Junk Debt Buyers

I actually had this happen to me about 5 years ago.  I got a VM saying that the county was trying to serve me with papers about a court case.  I freaked out, having no idea why anyone would be trying to sue me.  So I called them back, and the person on the phone was kind of a smooth talker, and basically looked up my i"case number" and was like "So, it looks like you got into some trouble with your credit cards all at once.  Let's talk about getting you a plan to get your account paid off."  He kept interrupting me when I trying to ask questions (I was thoroughly confused why the County would be asking me to set up payments), and kept insisting we make some arrangements.  When I finally was able to say "Wait, you said that you were from the County, trying to serve me with papers!" the line got quiet and then I realized he hung up on me.  That's when I knew they were bottom-feeder junk debt collectors, rather than the County or anyone with a legitimate case. 

My advice to you is to ignore this.  I wouldn't even offer them $75.  I never got a call from them again, and it's been 5 years since this happened and never once did they try and sue me.  If they do call again, just don't even let them talk, ask for their name and the name of the "County" clerk they work for and that you will need to call the County to verify their identity (for your own protection, of course) Smiley Wink.  I guarantee they will hang up before you finish the sentence.  

Good luck with your journey!

Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.