cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Started using a credit repair company

tag
Ralphes12

Just Started using a credit repair company

On Jan 15th I signed up for  credit repair service to get my ducks in a row.  I have pretty bad credit and it's time to take responsibility.  I have a total of 47 negatives. 

Out of the first round I have removed 3 of the 47 negatives.  I haven't ordered my credit reports again to see how this has helped improve my score.  I stumbled onto this site and have been reading posts for the last week or so, pretty interesting stuff.  I would like to do a little work on the side as well as coninuing with this credit removal service.  

1.  How are people checking their scores on a regular basis?  Is myfico accuarate?  For example if I get my report from a credit buera that notifies me of a deletion will I be able to log on to myfico and see any pont difference?

2.  On all three reports I see EOS/CCA but only on one report does it report At&t as well.  I've read people having luck at removing the At&t/EOS collection through email.  It's from 2008 and I honestly don't even remember what this is.  It's only $200 so if it's easier to pay and get a letter for my records and have it removed that way I can live with that.  Does anyone know the email?

3.  Along with the letters being sent from the company im using "Key Credit Repair", could I  call some of these places to see if I can pester them about removing  some negatives?

Thanks in advance for any answers to these questions and if anyone has any additional info that could be helpful I would appreciate it.  

The repair service is $100 per month and so far they have doen what they said they would.  When I get a report back from the credit Buear I mail them the statement and they send out another round of letters.  I know I can do this on my own but being new I figured I would let them roll with it untill I get the hang of how these things work.

500 Scores across the board. Looking to raise credit score to 650 in one year.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Ralphes12

Re: Just Started using a credit repair company

Just on more thing.  I've sucesfully added a few secured cards to help dilute my credit accounts.  I applied for the Care Credit, fingerhut on Friday and was approved. 

1. Capital one Platinum.  Started with $300 and they just raised my limit to $500.

2. First Premier.  They suck but I was new and just did it.  It cost me $95 for a $300 credit limit.

3. Care Credit - $800limit

4. GE Chevron & Texaco - DECLINED

5. Fingerhut - $300

Message 2 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One caution to keep in mind.

If your credit repair involves the filing of a dispute to contest the accuracy of reported information, I highly recommend use of a direct dispute as opposed to sending your dispute to the CRA for numerous reasons, the most significant of which is the CRA sanitizes disputes by use of their electronic e-OSCAR process.

The CRAs will rarely, if ever, forward your supporting documentation to the furnisher of the disputed information.

If you send a direct dispute to the furnisher, you are ensured that all your supporting documentation is received and thus considered by the furnisher.

FCRA 623(a)(8)(G) excludes credit repair organizations from perparing a direct dispute on the behalf of a consumer, or the submitting of a direct dispute by a consumer that is submitted on a form provided by a credit repair organization.

If your plan includes a dispute, you may want to file it yourself as a direct dispute.

Message 3 of 8
Ralphes12

Ahh ok, just to clarify....by law a credit repair company has to essentially submit a "generic" dispute letter where as I can send a letter directly to the company claimiing the dispute.  So for example I can send my claim directly to At&t rather than to the three Credit Reporting Agencies (CRA's).

If that is the case then I will look at the sample dispute letters and follow that route.  In regards to contacting the organizations directly such as Sallie Mae and At&t is there a resource to find a correct address or even email?  

Thank you for your prompt response.  I am pumped to learn this stuff.

Message 4 of 8
diva_1515
Valued Member

Just curious about why you're using a credit repair company....they can't do anything for you that you can't do yourself for free.

Message 5 of 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Just a heads up, can't post links to outside credit repair companies on the forums!! Happy rebuilding!

Message 6 of 8
diva_1515
Valued Member

Sorry about that, and thanks for the heads up.  I'm new to the boards...been lurking for a while.

Message 7 of 8
Ralphes12

I wanted to rebuild credit but didn't know where to start...

I wanted to rebuild credit but didn't know where to start.  Now that I have been reading a lot here I realize that it's not that difficult but takes a little extra time.  I will probally transition off their help but I like knowing that while i learn someone is helping me out.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.