Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Wondering Your Guess

tag
John060675
Valued Contributor

Just Wondering Your Guess

I know these questions are thrown out from time to time so I decided to take part. I am wanting to see about getting a CLI on my Cap 1 credit cards (currently have 2... $750 CL on Rewards CC and $1, 000 CL on Platinum CC. Accounts 2 years old and 6 years old reapectively with no balance once payments report.

My credit scores are all around 615 and I have a couple CO accounts from 2008. I have been perfect on payments since then.

My CC utilization is currently 82% but will be lowered to 45% in 2 weeks. in 2 weeks i will have 4 CCs showing 0 balance and my AMEX showing $3, 450 balance (CL of 5g so 69% on that card).

Questions...first, how much of a bump in score would you guess? I know it is impossible to know for sure, so guesses are fine.

Second, what do you think the chance of getting a PC from my Platinum Cap 1 to Quicksilver CC along with a CL bump would be?

My goal would be to get both Cap 1 CCs to be $2, 500 each at least and then my WF CC from $1, 000 CL to $2, 500 too. I think all soft pulls they will be

Thanks for being patient during my rambling post.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Just Wondering Your Guess

Let me get out the crystal ball.....

Ooops, I dropped it. No guess.

Hard to guess, since not every person's credit file is exactly the same; type of accounts, type of baddies, number of lates, established AAOA,etc..etc..etc...

Once your COs are history, and your reported utilization is under 10%, then you'll be in a "perfect storm," as to ask for CLIs, and not be refused.

Chances are, if you ask cap right now, you'll get a hundred or so, if you're lucky. PCs don't always mean CLIs to follow.

Message 2 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@John060675 wrote:
I know these questions are thrown out from time to time so I decided to take part. I am wanting to see about getting a CLI on my Cap 1 credit cards (currently have 2... $750 CL on Rewards CC and $1, 000 CL on Platinum CC. Accounts 2 years old and 6 years old reapectively with no balance once payments report.

My credit scores are all around 615 and I have a couple CO accounts from 2008. I have been perfect on payments since then.

My CC utilization is currently 82% but will be lowered to 45% in 2 weeks. in 2 weeks i will have 4 CCs showing 0 balance and my AMEX showing $3, 450 balance (CL of 5g so 69% on that card).

Questions...first, how much of a bump in score would you guess? I know it is impossible to know for sure, so guesses are fine.

Second, what do you think the chance of getting a PC from my Platinum Cap 1 to Quicksilver CC along with a CL bump would be?

My goal would be to get both Cap 1 CCs to be $2, 500 each at least and then my WF CC from $1, 000 CL to $2, 500 too. I think all soft pulls they will be

Thanks for being patient during my rambling post.

It is hard to guess but with a util that high getting it lowered will be a vast improvement.   Good luck on those CLI requests. 

Message 3 of 11
John060675
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I know it is almost impossible to tell for sure, which is why I asked for best guesses.  I suppose I was hoping someone was in the same boat as me and could share their experience.  Heck, at worst I was going to see how close people would come.

My guess is that my score will only rise 12 to 15 points, and even that might be generous.  Oh well, I will find out around December 25th when all of my CC report.  Hopefully it will be a Merry Christmas and a CLI for every CC!

Thank you.

Message 4 of 11
Scupra
Super Contributor

I would say to hope for a 5pt increase and be happy if it is more Smiley Happy haha! If you hope for 15 points and only get 5 you will be mre upset. Good luck and keep us posted!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 5 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

For utilization I always guesstimate 5 - 10 points for every 10% paid down.

Message 6 of 11
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't ask for a PC or CLI until your utility is down and it has reported to the CRBs. You have to put your best possible credit situation up for them to see - this will increase your chances of approval.
Message 7 of 11
John060675
Valued Contributor

Yes, that is my exact thought.

I suppose I should have asked my question a little differently.  Of course I was curious on the bump in score, but I suppose I was more interested in how much of a CLI to ask for with the CLs that I listed above.  I have read on here that people say ask for more.  Does this mean to ask for $10,000 and then they will come back with a lower number?  I just do not want them to laugh and just shoot me down immediately.

Thanks

Message 8 of 11
titanofold
Established Contributor

I think Cap1 is less concerned with what you're doing with others and more with what you do with them. If you've been paying more than the minimum, you will almost certainly get a CLI.

My fiancées utilization was about 50% when she got a CLI ($750 to $2,250) on one of her Cap1 CCs. It was a bit surprising she got that as she would only do $5-$10 over the minimum every now and then, and they denied her the CLI request initially stating it was because she didn't pay appreciably more than the minimum.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 9 of 11
John060675
Valued Contributor

Just an initial update, one of my Cap 1 CC accounts reported paid off.  It was "maxed out" at 96% of the CL, and I PIF.  This lowered my total CC utilization from 82% to 74%.

I saw a bump in score on EQ from 583 to 603.  That was a great start.  I cannot wait to see how the score keeps rising (hopefully) as my utilization goes down. 

I had so much fun seeing this bump in score that I plan on paying down my CC accounts even more to show a total of 18% utilization with 4 CC accounts showing $0 balance and one showing 29% utilization. 

Who knew paying bills could be so much fun?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.