Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just an FYI Concerning Equifax's Validation of Accurate Reporting

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Just an FYI Concerning Equifax's Validation of Accurate Reporting

Having some disconcerting info between what I receive on my credit reports as a consumer, and what is actually showing up via MYFICO, I did several info hunts on MYFICO, Merrick Bank (the instigator of this problem, hopefully to roll off by 2/2015, past sol, and Equifax itself), AND. Equifax (haven't done experian yet, they are next, TU is the only normal one here).

When disputing ANYTHING. With Equifax, they only require the DOB, SS#, and Name.  If the agency can provide that info, the debt is deemed as valid.  The only way to circumvent this issue is suit through arbitration/small claims court.  This is as if feb. 2014 (they seem to be changing it up from when I dealt with them previously).

So any business that gets hacked, any creditor with sold info, etc., they will not state as invalid

Signature needs updating
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Just an FYI Concerning Equifax's Validation of Accurate Reporting

I'm not sure where you are getting that info, but that is NOT what their requirements are under the FCRA.

If you disuted the accuracy of information reported by Merrick, the CRA was required to send a copy of your dispute to them, and then, when they receive their response, conduct a reinvestigation of the accuracy based on all information avalialble to them, which is usually only the verifixation proveded by the furnisher.

You may only be seeing the end result of the CRA verification, but a CRA reinvestigation is clearly far more than a check of accuracy of DOB, SSN, and Name.

Additionally confusing is that your state that your requested debt validation from the CRA.

Debt validation is a debt collection practices process under the FDCPA, and debt validation requests are sent to the debt collector.

The CRA has no involvement in that process.

If you send a dispute to a CRA it must, unlike a DV, provide documentation of an actual inaccuracy.

Thus, if you send a "dispute" to a CRA that merely requests validation of the debt, they can dismiss it as a frivolous dispute.

That may likely be what you have experienced... not a verifified dispute, but an improper dispute.

Message 2 of 3
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Just an FYI Concerning Equifax's Validation of Accurate Reporting

@RobertEG wrote:

I'm not sure where you are getting that info, but that is NOT what their requirements are under the FCRA.

If you disuted the accuracy of information reported by Merrick, the CRA was required to send a copy of your dispute to them, and then, when they receive their response, conduct a reinvestigation of the accuracy based on all information avalialble to them, which is usually only the verifixation proveded by the furnisher.

You may only be seeing the end result of the CRA verification, but a CRA reinvestigation is clearly far more than a check of accuracy of DOB, SSN, and Name.

Additionally confusing is that your state that your requested debt validation from the CRA.

Debt validation is a debt collection practices process under the FDCPA, and debt validation requests are sent to the debt collector.

The CRA has no involvement in that process.

If you send a dispute to a CRA it must, unlike a DV, provide documentation of an actual inaccuracy.

Thus, if you send a "dispute" to a CRA that merely requests validation of the debt, they can dismiss it as a frivolous dispute.

That may likely be what you have experienced... not a verifified dispute, but an improper dispute.

Hsven't disputed with equifax yet, only experian a while back.  That response of how eq validates debt is in the BBB responses right on the complaints for their BBB account  (experian is worse, not even member of BBB).  They are still using the e-Oscar system.  They are also chasing bad debt (more so than a year ago), since bad debt sells reports.  I know I was never able to get them on the phone.  My highest score, with all the same baddies on it, is TU.  EX and EQ are doing some naughties in their reporting.

I quit smoking this month (over 30 days), don't mess with me man -Smiley Happy.

Seriously, they aren't complying, though what you say is the law.  A lot of these predators will be gone by this time next year, and the sol has already passed (though I did get a junk debt buyer, first ever, they haven't tried to report yet).  However, found that I should follow up those bureau disputes with method of validation (they sure didn't contact the one re-aged account, still gonna drop off, to confirm my dates, etc., within 4 hours).  Just sayin'.

They are also insisting their members use this system to respond to all complaints (google e-Oscar trasunion).  Otherwise, they are restricted to their monthly update reports.  AND, all those documents you send in?  Filed in folders or shredders, depending on hiw they feel.  Not really scanned for OCR purposes.  Just more helpful in your disputrss (sorry myfico, I was wrong).

Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.