Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just an introduction

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an introduction

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking for a couple of days and thought I'd post about my credit situation.

College ruined me. I left with about $10k in credit card debt, most from non-essential vanity purchases because I had no understanding of how credit worked, nor of its importance. Fast forward ten years, to my present situation.

Last year, I settled three of my four delinquent credit cards (all in collections) and wiped about $5k of my debt away. In 9 days, the last one (AmEx... a bad burn. Went from Green to Platinum to Optima and derog'd on my Optima) will be clear ($4800 of debt, settled to $2000). 

I've got three new cards (all from Cap One: one Platinum Classic [$1,500], one QuicksilverOne [$750], and one Spark Classic Business [$2000 - I'm self employed, so it's a legitimate card, not just an attempt to expand my CLs).

My FICO 8 scores are now all in the 620s, which I'm actually incredibly proud of... in October 2013, when I applied for a new car loan (and got it, albeit at a really terrible interest rate), they were all in the 550's. I pay my balances in full every month, and keep my utilization between 3-20%.

I got a myFICO membership the other day, and am browsing these forums for ideas on how to maximize my credit report. My serious delinquents don't fall off until 2015-2018, so I've got some time, and the patience thing isn't a strength of mine but I know it's the main thing I can do. I'm going to try to "garden" my credit, because I've quite a few inquiries (8-12 depending on the bureau) from car loan application and CC applications), and hope to hit 700+ by the end of the year.

Anyway, thanks for all the help (which you didn't know you gave me) and I'm excited about my financial future for the first time in YEARS!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just an introduction

Grats & welcome to MyFico Smiley Happy

Get 1 store card after you have 6 months of these 3 bankcards reporting and you will pretty much be set Fico wise as 3 bankcards and 1 store is the minimum you want to help maximize your FIco. Keep reading this board and you will find ways to work on your derogs still on file, you can always post a question in this forum if you need to.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You say you are impatient... get busy writing goodwill letters to get those baddies off early Smiley Tongue

squeaky wheel and all that.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Point taken, and done.

The first was just sent to Cach, LLC re: two debts settled in summer of 2013.

Here's to hoping!

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just sent six GW letters... to all CAs and OCs.

What a load off!

Hopefully, something comes of it. But if not, I've done my part.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.