Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just beginning credit repair

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just beginning credit repair

I am new to this and would like some advice from members who have had success in raising their credit score from credit repair on their own.  We are in desperate need of a new travel trailer for my husband's job.  He travels all over the country for his job and stays months at a time so it is more cost friendly to have a travel trailer as opposed to motel costs.  Anyway, his credit scores are as follows;

Equifax 561 

Transunion 567

Experian 564 

Needless to say we are having a hard time getting an approval.  So, I am starting the task of cleaning up his credit report and have been on this site all afternoon reading and taking notes.  I have a few questions, and I am hoping I can get some advice to a few things that I am not sure how to handle.  

1.  Applied for a secured Discover It Secured Card this afternoon with a $200 limit to start getting some good pay history going. What is your advice to use that card to maximize my score the fastest? 

2. Three collection accounts on report - 2 for Portfolio Recovery Associates and one for JH Portfolio Debt Equities.  I called Portfolio Recovery this afternoon to ask for a Pay for Delete.  I was transferred to a supervisor, who by the way to my surprise was a very nice man, who informed me that they could not do a Pay for Delete.   I informed him that I am trying to raise my score to make a big purchase and that paying it would not accomplish what I was going for.  He said he understood and I told him I would consider maybe a settlement (whiche he offered) once I researched the topic a little more. We hung up.  So my question is?  How should I handle the PRA accounts? what is the best solution.  Also, has anyone had any success with a PFD for JH Portfolio Debt Equities?  I havent called them yet, I plan to do that tomorrow.  

3.  Going through the report.  I have the actual credit card companies with the accounts that are in collections, showing charge offs.  How do I handle those? Do I dispute them? Call them and ask to pay them directly? Or do they both get to stay on the report, the original and the collection account?

I appreciate any advice I can get my head is swimming right now with all of this information.  The RV dealership told me that he could get it done if we get the score above 600.  But he told me my husbands score was a 520..... I have looked on several sites and they are all consistent with Myfico.com scores.  So I dont know what they used to pull his score, should I question them about that?  It could be an error, which could make a difference.  

Thanks in advance!!!!  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Chris679
Established Contributor

Re: Just beginning credit repair

1. Put a small monthly charge like Netflix on the card. Set it to auto pay in full each month and throw the card in the sock drawer.
2/3. The sticky threads at the top should have lots of info on what you want to DV and what you should dispute. Once you have everything on your report showing as paid you should be able to find a loan for the trailer. The interest rate will likely be high though so be careful.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's no way, with open charge offs and collections, to maximize your scores fastest. It's going to take time. 

Use the Discover as noted, and pay it off each month. 

You may want to consider a Cap One secured card in addition, and possibly a store card to improve your number of credit lines. Ideally you'll want three open tradelines. 

Patience, time and payments ... that's pretty much the course of action

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I'm new. What is DV?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry I'm new. What is DV?

Debt Verification

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.